Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

in need of fresh eyes

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
so... ive been working on this for a while, way past the cgchat contest deadline. Its the first character model i have ever seriously undertaken in the last 3years?!?!?, and intend to finish. So ima little stuck on the texturing(first complete pass...what now?) and wanted to hear as to what all of you have to say about it. please give me any crits you have, preferably constrictive... but i can take a bashing as well so have at it. Thanks!

lustlita.gif

concept

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the first thing you need to consider is whether you want this character to have a simple, cartoonish texture (like your upperbody) or a high detailed, realistic one (like the hooves and tail).

Regardless of your choice, the fur phto you've used on the legs is pretty noisy. You might be able to balance it out with detail on the remainder of the body, but simplifying it may be a better move.

The skin and dress is in need of a lot lacking in shading and more colour. It looks like you might be just using the dodge and burn brush for your shading which is very rarely suitable for an entire area of shading. Build up the forms of the flesh and cloth and add some blues, greens, reds and yellows to the skin and more shades of blue with a bit of varience based on the colour of the environement she's likely to appear in (if she's a forrest creature, some subtle greens and browns in the shadows would work well for instance).

Keep at it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    The leg texture seems far too busy and high contrast in comparison to the rest of the model.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but the colour of the blue dress doesn't fit well with the rest of the model.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r2_1.gif

fixed up the legs and moved around some, played around with the skin some more, hoping to put a finish to it by the end of tonight, let me know what you guys think
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I'd give her more contrast in the eyes by darkening the irises. I'd also try to give her a little more sickly colored skintone, take a look at poop's delilah texture. Also, i'd make some of the areas on the skin a little darker, like the armpits and along her dress straps (just a smidge) and her temples.

I'd also do something about that straight line dividing her bangs from the rest of her hair. mess it up a little.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big improvement to the legs and dress fabric, though the folds are probably a little n the dark side now.

As Slash mentioned, some stronger shading on the skin is what you need now and pick out the muscles a little. Shading the underside of the arms with a bluish tone to simulate radiosity of the dress would look good.

Darkening the legs where the dress would shade them will help coalesce the model a bit better.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankx guys! your help is greatly apreciated, you guys are right in all you said.

and ive actually been thinking about how to aproach some of those issues, the hairline will have some hair going into it, and ive started doing bluish shadowns underneath her arms, the legs i might bring the shadow a bit further down. the view is a bit top down and you cant see the shadow ive put there, but i see what you mean, i might bring it down some more. its probably just cuz i was happy with the texture and i didnt want to darken it, :P. But i will go in and maby put some more shadows in there.

i was thinking about picking out the miscles but its a young girl, there is no real musce definition. she still has baby fat and what not. But i think i know what you mean and ive been trying to figure out a better way to bring that that out more but well see what happens.

im just glad you guys are kinda nitpicking at small things now wich i should be able to fix with not to much wrestling.

and yeah she will be sickly looking and realy blody, i still have her whole lips/mouth/cheek area to crack up and fill with dried/gushing/built up blood, as well as bring out her bloody fingers worn to the bone, and i want to bring out a paleish, more sickly skintone as well.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With regards to muscles, just a little subtle definition on the shoulder and around the elbow is all you'd probably want. If she's strong enough to wear down her fingers to bony stubs, she's probably going to have been active enough to have gotten rid of some of that puppy fat though.