Home General Discussion

New features in XSI 6!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
XSI 6

Animation layers and keysets will be most welcome. I was hoping we wouldn't have to wait for full CAT integration or availability for that stuff.

The MOTOR vid looks awesome. I could definitely use that right now to transfer animation from some of our older character rigs to the newer ones.

Hopefully it arrives before my holidays are over. =]

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    whoa.. motor is the shit.. makes me wish i was an animator...
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Gwot which program do you use primarily for Character modeling ?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Somebody came down from XSI to give a talk about it a month ago at our school. Some very very cool rigging features built into it. It's make Maya look hideous.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    GATOR and MOTOR... nice combination there smile.gif

Interested in seeing these new rigging tools too, biped is good and all, but building your own is nice.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Wish there was some more modeling and UV-ing based enhancements, but my work flow for modeling between XSI and Mudbox is already fairly fast, just a few tools I would like to see implemented. No new particles is kind of sad, although they say they are working on it. And Gwot you might not get your wish they said they wanted to get out for the end of December.

Other things I like are the new Mental Ray, the opening of more SDK features to have some other renderer's added, shader balls, and the new referencing if done well could be awesome and a huge time saver in production.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see decent renderman integration. Trying to use XSIman was akward and I couldn't even get the fecking thing to work. And it would be REALLY handy when rendering something with displacements.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    XSI|SIX :P

*fwap fwap fwap*
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy: These days I think it depends more on my mood than anything. =D

Silo and Modo see the bulk of my work. I tend to do a lot in XSI too though, especially if I'm working on a character that is already rigged or in the process of being rigged - easier to just do it there than send it out and back in again.

Waz: I'll keep my fingers crossed. =] I'd love it if they included some auto unwrapping and general workflow improvements on the modeling side too - we might still see some of that yet. Seems like they've only really covered the major additions to 6, and there are always lots of little ones as well.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Just came back from the montreal user meeting. Man was that fantastical. Im sure bernard over the base will have an update either tonight or tomorrow morning with all the goodies.

Most of chinny showed off were in those videos. A couple little things that aren't in there (and he didn't mention of few others that he couldn't show right then and there as they still aren't completed) were:
    Real symmetry!! Woooo! It took a little while for this one to finally show up. But its in and its sexy. You just click that "sym" button on the right hand side and away you go.
    Locked Rotoscoping. As in its locked to the camera or its back to the old way.
    Catwalk looks like it could save studios an assload of time. Especially ones who use multiple softwares.
    Chinny said that this was the most work that they had done on the rendering system since v.1. The only things he showed us were the multi regions and the saved regions (with a roll back to selected image options, option). And the new materials system with "shader balls" (which can be anyobject you want). He mentioned something about the core of xsi being separated from mental ray now. So im guessing with that new render engine SDK and the seperation it makes life a lot easier for the folks at vray and brazil and rman to add built in functionality to xsi.

Im having a hard time remembering what else was shown or talked about. The layered animation and motor were pretty similar to the videos. Either than that not much else to talk about.

Ill try to remember more, but im sure bernard will do a way better job.

ciao.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for the update Dur!... Wish I could have been there!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    what's XSI?

(lee runs to cover)
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Real symmetry, wow that is good to hear, can't wait to hear about all that happened at the user group meeting. Real symmetry is worth the upgrade just in itself, do you know if it works with asymmetrical objects with the same topology / vertex count?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    All nice features. Can't wait to play around with animation layers. I hope the DirectX exporter works fine with animations this time.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what's XSI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go crash yourself! tongue.gif