Home Technical Talk

Keeping Smoothing Groups from Max to Maya

Palleschi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Palleschi polycounter lvl 18
Hey,

Anyone know a good trick for keep Smoothing groups from Max to Maya. For some reason I check the box in the Max OBJ exporter, but everytime I open the OBJ in Maya my smoothing groups are messed up. Does anyone else have this problem? Thoughts? Any ideas would be appreciated. I know in maya its all based on edges. I had thought of selecting anywhere where I have a hard edge and breaking the model there, then when I export I can apply hard or soft edges to the model in maya then just reweld the verts.. This seems like an extra hassle, and there has to be a better alternative. I have tried FBX too, but that tends to give me some really wierd errors. My other thought is maybe I need to just use Smoothing Groups 1, 2, and 3 and nothing else. Maybe it has a hard time with 20 different smoothing groups. *shrug*

Alot of projects I work on I have to go back and forth depending on the client. Any help would be appreicated.

thanks
-mike

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    make sure in max you export from an editable poly object. also, when you assign more than one smooth group per face (happens mostly accidentially to me) it might still look fine in max but the affected face will look wrong (better: correct) in maya.
  • Palleschi
    Offline / Send Message
    Palleschi polycounter lvl 18
    Yah.. I think you are right. You can only have 1 smoothing group per face. Which totally sucks. Cause sometimes you don't want all the edges to be hard. Oh well.. thanks for the incite.

-mike