Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

female head WIP (advice needed)

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
Hi!

I'm trying to make a hi-poly female head in Max to use to make a normal map. This is what I've got so far...

wiresp0.th.jpg
I tried to focus on making the edge loops work, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it properly. I didn't think it looked too bad that way, but when I turn NURMS on, it doesn't look right at all:
subdul7.th.jpg
Should I be adding more loops to make it hold the shape more once it's smoothed? Or just arranging them differently? Or is it something else entirely?
Here's the reference photo I'm using:
referencezp0.th.jpg
As you can see, there's basically no likeness to the reference yet. I've been moving points around, trying to get it closer, but it's not there yet.

Any suggestions/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Why such a small ref?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know. I guess I scaled it down a lot more than I needed to.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a good start, id change the flow on the sides of the nose, make them flow into the eyesocket. Usually i prefer to run the nose edges all the way around the skull instead of ending them between the eyes. Also dont leave your edges flat on the nose, bring the outer ones down a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2rt7.jpg

Thanks, Psyk0. I brought the second column of vertices from the center of the nose out and down some more so the front isn't so flat. I made the nose a little wider too, and tried to make the sides of the bridge of the nose flow into the eye sockets more. Is that how you meant?

I also deleted the polygons on the inside of the nostrils for now so I could try to get them placed a little better.

Is the structure of the wings of the nose heading in the right direction, or is it too flat? Would I be better off rebuilding that part and beveling them in some way instead?
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    I would chamfer the edge coming from the corner of the mouth, so you dont have those long edges ending in a pole.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Much better.

I agree with squirmy, welding the corners of the mouth is a common mistake, dont forget the mouth is "O" shaped, but you need to translate that shape when it's closed, imagine an O folding on itself. That's gonna help for animation and anatomy likeness.