Home Technical Talk

VIDEO GAME CHARACTER MODELING STEPS?

Can anybody give me the rundown on how do a character for a video game. tell me if I'm wrong but basically this is what I thought the process was.

1. model your character.
2. unwrap the uv's
3. first detach the dead and export into zbrush
4. paint it till its fully detailed.
5. use zmapper to get displacement maps.
6. apply the map to max file
7. export the body into zbrush
8. paint it till its fully detailed.
9. use zmapper to get displacement maps.
10.apply map to max file
11. export all the accessories of the character into zbrush
12. paint till fully detailed
13. use zmapper to get displacement maps.
14. apply map to model.
15. then start doing the texture the same way.

is that how to do it? if not can anybody give me the steps how to do it? thanks

Replies

• CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty much my method, otherwise you can first block out the body and head at a very low poly state. Then go to Z-Brush and do all the sub-dividing and add all details, bring back into Maya/Max or Silo and rebuild the geometry topology, uv map the mesh after seperating the pieces, then texture it.

It's all up to you as the artist though. As there is really no proper way to do it, but have you're own standard.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    For making game characters, I can't think of a reason you'd need displacement maps.
    Unless you mean normals maps (those RGB, mostly blue maps - not a greyscale heightmap).

CrazyMatt has a good technique too - you shouldn't entirely detail out your character meshes if you're taking them into ZBrush... you can take a fairly un-detailed model into ZBrush, sculpt away to your heart's content until it's finished, then rebuild a new low-poly mesh around the sculpted model, and bake normal maps from the sculpted mesh onto the UVs of this new low-poly mesh.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'd add this step inbetween 1 and 2.

-Create some quick bones/joints, skin model and test deformations. Refine model if problem arose.
  • PStrive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i think i meant normals. I'm not very familiar with maps yet. im trying to learn all this shit.... any advice on how I can get this done the best way is what I'm looking for. Some of you say I should rebuild a model after zbrush. I dont understand why I'd have to do that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's best to rebuild a new lowpoly mesh usually because a good ZBrush base mesh (all quad geometry) is not a good optimised in-game mesh.

Read Ben Mathis' excellent 4-page tutorial on the steps he uses in 3DS Max and ZBrush to build a normal-mapped character with ZBrush here - http://www.mr-chompers.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

That should answer most of your questions.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm Mop I tend not to agree with that as we have used the zbrush base for in game in both of my previous companies.
    Why have an extra pain in the arse stage , when using the zbrush base you can also use this for morph targets.
    IMHO if you build the base correctly in the first place it is more than adequate for in game stuff
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I tend to agree with Ruz. Not that I've been doing it, I'm importing back into max and its a major pain, especially time wise. If its just to save 200 polies, it may not be worth the time anymore.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah fair enough, I guess it's up to the artist, what they want to do with their workflow - personally I just bang out a really rough quick mesh that works well in ZBrush that I can sculpt like crazy rather than worrying if it'll work well in game first of all. I find it easier to build a new mesh after the fact since sculpting can sometimes change a mesh more drastically than the base mesh can handle, detail-wise.
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its just proved a pain for me getting such a dense mesh and often many meshes back into max. You need to get them back in line with each other and than I poly crunch them, so that I can actually work in the scene and build the low poly around it. Its a bloody lot work, in a chugging viewport. But now that you mention it MoP, like I said I haven't done it that way yet, you would be somewhat confined to your base mesh and the changes could be too extreme. So much planning needed.
  • PStrive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool... anybody know where I can find a great tutorial on unwrapping a character for a video game??
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i'm no pro...but i actually agree w/MOP. i have created a couple of zbrush chars. and if you have elements such as spikes and such...they change dramatically when you bump the subdivisions. also, if you want to really conserve geo, if you build the mesh after sculpting the zbrush model you can really use triangles to your advantage.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    step 1: model character.
    step 2: ???
    step 3: profit.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18