Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boat. Big Boat.

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
Hey all....long time lurker first time poster. cool.gif

Here's a couple screenshots of my latest WIP. Aside from being mostly a giant research project, its also for my Senior Project at school. The main source of reference has been the HMS Surprise, as seen in the film Master and Commander. Lucky for me, it's currently parked at the Maritime Museum here in San Diego.

My intention is not an actual 100% reproduction of it (this is my first attempt at modeling a ship) but rather a ship "mostly close" that would be believable in size, scale, functionality, etc.

A few hundred pics, sketches, web searches and hours later, here's where I am atm.

I am very interested in any sort of feedback you might have to offer. I can also provide more detailed shots of the deck, as I have lots and lots of those...but for the overall look, here she is:

HighRes1

HighRes2

Note:

Please ignore the current gunports on the side of the ship. They are very rough for now and will be adjusted soon to improve accuracy and spacing etc. I just had my "Technical Advisor" beat me over the head about the spacing being all jacked up crazy.gif

Also note - high res renders for the sake of the size and scale of this piece.

Some of many references:
Reference1
Reference2

Looking forward to hearing from you!

blush.gif

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    wow, I think it looks great. I'm sure people are going to want to see the wires though wink.gif

It could definitely use some of the ropes/rigging though. I know it's still WIP, so I'm sure you plan on adding that later.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    thats prety coool, nice detailing, right now im sorry i have to say this,it kills me, and maby its just the render, or the view point but the hull looks a little flat and out of shape, , i think it nedds to curb out from the sides a bit more.of cource it all depends on what this is for, if you show it to a boat man i think hell make the same comment about the hull, but then again i could be wrong. for pretty astetics and if the bottom is submerged you should be ok, but its the first thing that struck me. if youre gonna post the wires could you post a top and a front view.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I don't know what it is about the skylight renders but it doesn't really show much detail when it comes to the roundness of the hull. I usually try to avoid the skylight renders, but sometimes its the quickest and easiest way to see all the basic detailing and whatnot. Here's the front view:

frontta0.jpg

I'll attach some wires later if you guys really want to see them.
  • Goober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, I think those flaps on the sides over the gun ports will help out. The sense of scale is already looking awesome though, the details really help that. Stuff like the windows and the deck wheel and boats really enhance this.

I like "mostly close" more than "totally authentic", leaves more room for fun!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that is fantastic! keep working!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    lookin sweet! keep going on this one man!