Home General Discussion

worried about my job interview

I got an artist job interview next week...this is only my second interview for a game job..my other one was with Crystal Dynamics at school last year.
I am confident with my skills, talent, portfolio etc...I also like the company a lot. They also seem to be very interested.
But if I don't get this job...man I need to pay my loans starting next month

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Hey benny, Theres a decent book recently released about the games industry/jobs/career advice. There is a good section in the back about interviews that you might want to check out wink.gif

http://www.primagames.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780761552840

Hope thats some help!
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Good luck with the interview Benny!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck! Remember not only are they interviewing you, but you are interviewing them! Ask questions get them talking =)
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i will check that book out (if I can find it in stores.)
    Currently I read "Break Into The Game Industry" by Ernest Adams.

I will ask questions about who I will be working with, what kinds of games, work schedule, etc. Or maybe what platforms they work for, if they have plans for sequels of their popular games.

I know I should advoid going into salary unless they come up with it, but are there also other questions I should advoid asking or be aware of?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Relax and be yourself. Most game companies are fairly informal places, and they just want to see if you will fit in with the group, and that you are not nuts. If your portfolio wasn't up to snuff, they wouldn't have even called you in. Be confident, not cocky, ask question, and just chat them up.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Only had a couple of interviews myself, but it's good to also research the company too and their games. I actually got asked at one of the interviews what I knew about that company. If you don't really know much about them, they might get the impression you aren't all that interested in working for them.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Be prepared to discuss your thought processes behind the way you work and talk with passion about it. Be ready to answer questions about your favorite games (and why), what you would change in that game if you could, and what game or games you are playing now. Be ready to answer what games excite you (artwise) and what you are looking forward to coming out (it probably shouldn't be the company's games unless you really are excited about their next product).

Let your interviewers know that you are excited about the possibility of working for their company (not just need a job to pay off loans).

Be able to discuss your future plans and goals as they relate to art.

Dress professionally, but appropriate to your audience.

Ask questions about the company's culture and opportunities to learn new skills. If the company is in a different area of the country, ask about what it's like to live there.

Be relaxed, but not so laid back that you appear aloof.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would say mate from experience don't worry about anything. just be yourself. I tend to not even get nervous these days. just laugh at them:)
    Don't put added pressure on yourself or you will have a harder time.
    just tell them your plus points and hope for the best
    don't seem too keen.
  • benny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great tips and these were things I wasn't clear about. Thanks!
    I am exciting about this interview and would love to work with these guys because I really like all their games and was a big fan of one of their game series as a kid.

I will be myself, but I also tend to get nervous at some points. but these heads ups will prepare me for the interview better. Thanks!