Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mudbox Head Bust / First post.

Long time lurker, first time poster. (lurked for like 5 years, seriously).

Anyway, I made this bust in Mudbox. I'm still getting used to the program but this is my 2nd real sit-down attempt at making a realistic face. I tend to play with 3D Max/PSP/Unrealed etc so I'm kind of winging it most of the time. Any suggestions? Any tips? What I'm finding the most difficult is making eyeballs and ears. I kinda copped out on the lips too after a real good attempt and then deciding I wanted something more zombie-like in appearance (and then saving over my lip version, doh!).

Oh btw, I'm using a wacom intuos tablet to do most of my work, hope this isn't a silly thing to do. :S

mudhead.jpg
mudhead1.jpg

Replies

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Good try. See if you can develop the general shapes and volume early before starting to detail it out ..

right now it's very blobby. work on lower subd level until you have developed the form efficiently and them progressively move up to put more detail

at least that's how i go about things smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, what fuse said. Work out everything that you possibly can on a low subdivision level before you move on to the next higher one. Just get in there and detail out those forms.
  • silence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I noticed I can go back to a lower subd and tweak out the model without losing any details in the higher subd. Is that a viable work method or am I being insane?

I find it a little confusing to work with those low res polygons also, it seems mudbox isn't quite up to the poly editing of 3d max. Once you start messing at the low resolution it seems the symmetry really messes up (although I noticed it at the higher subd too).

[edit]
    I did a bit of tweaking. mudfaceupdate.jpg
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    yeah you can def modify the low poly, and keep the details on the original. If i was you, I would just completely start over tho, and make that first one a learning experience..Not to sound too harsh, but you need to study some anatomy and other creature/animal structures and sort of show their characteristics in your creature. By that I mean believable muscle and sketetal form and structure.

The best way to start, is with a solid direction or concept, then lay down the basic form and topology in max where you can have more control over form, then bring it into your sculpting package, and start detailing--like the others said, slowly working your way up in sub d levels, and going back down to edit proportions and things as needed.
  • silence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a fresh mudhead... I might attempt a whole body next perhaps. I'm not entirely sure on playing with 3d max again yet since I don't have the time to relearn it until my next full day off work.

2ndmudhead.jpg
  • silence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously any critiques are welcome, especially paint-overs...

To do this bust I have been mostly looking at pictures/doodles from andrew loomis so I can get the anatomy right. Also I've noticed I lose a lot of definition in the smooth shaded views, whereas the none-smooth version is quite defined. :S
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Good improvement. The chin should be a bit wider I think, it doesn't fit the rest of the jaw. The back of the neck doesn't look right. I did a quick paintover.

headpainoveryn8.jpg