Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Aston Martin DBR9

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
Polycount: 9528
Textures: 1x2048(for both interiors and exteriors, 1x1024*512(windows)

AstonmartinDBR9_Front.jpg
AstonmartinDBR9_Rear.jpg
AstonmartinDBR9_Parts.jpg
AstonmartinDBR9_Front_color.jpg
AstonmartinDBR9_Rear_color.jpg

Fire your cannons!
yarr

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Texture sizes seem a little ridiculously large...

but maybe its because I'm used to 256s
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Why are the windows getting almost as much texture space as the entire rest of the car?
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Sectaurs: I am partially going after the texture sized stated in the simbin worktest. Altough i might end up rescaling the interiors to 1024x512.

SupRore: Sorry misstyped the windows proportions its actually 1024x512. So you are absolutely right ^_^
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I would suggest that you optimize, or go high poly. Almost 10k polies but it still feels very low poly. Huge textures won't make up for that either. Right now, you're riding the fence, and it's hurting badly for both categories. Some areas like the rear bumper and roof of the car are feeling low poly, yet a ton of polies are wasted on the rims. This probably all sounds harsh, but you definitely need to give yourself a budget. The actualy form isn't bad, but as it stands, it looks like a very poorly budgeted low poly project. If you aimed for 4k with one 1024 texture, that would be acceptible for a low poly budget. Any higher and you may as well just go cinematic specs.

Push yourself harder, I think you will be much more pleased with yourself with what you can do on a lower budget.
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    EricElwell: Thank you for the Feedback.
    I think that you hit a good spot there with the roof and rear bumper being to low poly.
    Originally my intention was to go for a polycount of 12k. Since that is what i gather the cars in Race are on.
    That is including a driver i assume. And i think i will stick to that.

*Edit*
    Texturing. Anyone else then me thing that that front-window looks odd?
    AstonmartinDBR9_Body_color.jpg
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Dude. I see you are putting a lot of effort into this project and I think that's great.

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself with unwrapping and texturing before you've mastered the modelling. I suggest you make at least another 5 cars and dont bother unwrapping or texturing any of them. Just take your time to build them right paying close atttention to polygon distribution. I could write a novel on how to achieve this or anyone can learn for themselves just by doing it a few times and thinking hard about the outcome. You clearly have a strong work ethic but channel that energy one area at a time, learn to make a good model, then good unwrap, then good texture.

Keep it up my man.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree with nealb4me, well put.
    I like the idea that you could take some time to model other cars to get a feel for it, and then maybe revisit this one.
    You seem to have a ton of non-planar faces all over your mesh, which I feel gives a very dented look to the whole car, or maybe that might be the lack of hardedges..
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Although i would like to get some closeure on this one i find myself in agreement with you nealb4me. Model a few more cars without the mapping and texture and keeping an eye on the polygon-distribution as well as non-planar faces.

Thank you both nealb4me and flow3d for your critique.
    I'll let you know how is turns out
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    you also picked a hard car to get a sweet mid-poly count car, its got alot of scoops and theyre probably eating your tri count.

id suggest something with just as sweet but simpler design, maybe a modern beetle or mini, theyve got a nice simple structure, which would look a littel better at your tri count.
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    I started modelling this Audi A6 Avant after watching a tutorial video for 3d studio max. Don't know if it is simpler but it's good practice. Not done yet. Lots of vertex pulling left and some details yet to be added.

a6_04.jpg
    a6_02.jpg
    a6_03.jpg
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah cool man. I see a lot of edge loops going into the near flat surface of the roof and bonnet while the heavily curved bumpers are getting hardly anything at all. They are far too angular. Now is the time for redistribution smile.gif
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    indeed i agree

redistribution ahoy!
    Yarr smile.gif

*edit*
    I wonder if i should do something like that on the hood aswell.

a6_05.jpg
    a6_06.jpg