Home Technical Talk

which 3d package?

nomichi
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nomichi polycounter lvl 17
I know this has probably been asked but I am having trouble with the search here not returning results relevant to what I ask for.

I am just wondering what package is recommended for an aspiring newbie. What has the most/best tutorials and easiest learning curve? From what I've read it seems the best is down to maya and max. Any feedback or links to similar topics would be great.

Thanks.

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Max and maya are both very expensive.

Usually it's better to start with free software like blender
    http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

or wings
    http://www.wings3d.com/

Silo's also a great option, very affordable:
    http://www.nevercenter.com/
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I'm using the xsi mod tool for half-life 2 right now. I was just wondering if I did eventually buy something what would be recommended. I played with an older version of max a long time ago and remembered there being a lot of good tutorials but with this xsi I can't find many that are good and a lot of them are in a foreign language. frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would stick to Max and Maya and stay away from the free software unless you aren't that serious and just want to mess around with 3D. Maya Personal Learning Edition is a pretty good place to start. But I found the free tutorials left me high and dry just when I needed them the most, after that they conveniently sell videos, books and downloads, how nice of them...

I personally started off with Max (Gmax actually) it had a pretty high learning curve but F1 (searchable help file) is great and full of useful info. I also picked up some used 3DS max books for cheap. For me it was a done deal when the company I was working for downsized and we had extra licenses of Max that had not expired yet so I was able to use Max in my down time.

They both tend to have a high learning curve but once you figure out the basics, things start moving along nicely. Also keep in mind that the entire package isn't normally used for game art so there will be things you don't need to learn about unless you really want to. The core features for game art have seen some improvements over the years but you could get your hands on an older version such as Max4-5-6 and be able to walk right into Max9 with little difficulty.

It is easy to get caught up reading cinematic tutorials and advanced effects when that stuff has no bearing on the game industry. Note that the industry does do trailers and full cinematic work and is leaning toward using more of those features, but they often implement them in different ways so knowing about them and being familiar with them is good but implementing them in game will more than likely be a new thing.
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the version of max I tried was 5. Do you know how that compares to the newest version? Also, where do I look to buy older versions?

Also, is there a good low poly tutorial thread for max for me to browse to see what is available? I will search but if you know of any that would be great as well.

Thanks.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    5 Is extremely outdated. Version 9 was just released. There have been major innovations in Editable Poly, UVW Unwrap, Direct X Shaders, Lighting, and Render to Texture, all of which are some of the most vital tools that you need for games.

Version 5 may get you oriented, but you'll definitely want to step up to something more current when you get a chance.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Ryno but 5 does have all the basic modeling and UV tools it's a good place to get started with the program if that is all you got . It's just not stable so be prepared for crashes . One thing to remember and there are many examples of this is that no matter what software you use if you make really good art with it it'll get your foot in the door . You might be required to learn a new program if a specific company uses that but if you made awesome character models using SILO I doubt anybody would pass up hiring you just because they use Maya and you don't . Just my opinion smile.gif
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Vig. Choose between Max and Maya.

I personally learned 3D using max (6-7 years or so ago) and got my first jobs at studios using it, but now I've been using maya for 10 weeks at school and I like maya much better. Modeling isn't really better in maya, but for anything else I prefer it to max.

When making your choice consider if you want to go in games or film. For games, go for whichever you prefer, because while max still seems to be the popular one, most job openings I've come across ask for maya artists. The paid Job postings forum seems to reflect this. If you want to go to film, go for maya.

Then there's cost. Maya costs 2000 while max is 5000 (in Europe). You're getting much more bang for your buck with Maya, and even though though I stongly advise you not to buy either until you've become familiar with at least one of them, perhaps the cost is something to consider for future purposes.

One other thing, don't pick a 3D package based on modeling tools. The difference between them is small, the preference usually lies only with UI familiarity, and most packages have additional plugins complementing each other anyway. Look for stuff beyond modeling, since all packages can do poly models.

Good luck making your pick!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm with Vig on this, again. Stick with learning one of the major applications used in the industry...Max or Maya. Max was easier for me to learn, probably because it was the first. But once you get the basics of modeling, uv layout, animation, etc. it's just the task of learning a new interface and workflow. Each has a learning edition for a fair price. If you're attempting to learn off of a legit copy, and money is problem, blender and wings are good tools to get use to working in a 3D environment, but neither are used in the industry (or extremely rarely). Silo is also coming up fast as being a very popular and affordable tool. I've not used it yet, but $110 is unbeatable for what it provides. Check it out here: http://www.nevercenter.com/
    Hope that helps, good luck! :]
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Not sure I want to spend that much money yet so I'll just keep fooling around with the xsi mod tool and maybe some of the free programs. Maybe when I get good enough I will feel comfortable taking the step up to max or maya. smile.gif
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    I'm adept in both Max and Maya for game development, and as far as I can tell, XSI has all the capabilities of either, but it's really cheap.

Or, invest money in training.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    If you're not planning on doing any animating/rigging, Silo is a very affordable and easy to use bit of kit. An added bonus is the free upgrade to Silo 2 (when it's released), and immediate access to the Silo 2 beta, which also has Zbrush/Mudbox like displacement painting. If modeling is your thing, check it out. There's a free 30 day trial of the older version (Silo 1.42), so you can see if you like it.