Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grenade Launcher

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
This was for the recent Game-Artist.net Challenge. I tied for 1st place with nkoste. Anyway, it's done, so I won't be doing anything more to it. Just thought I'd post it for fun.

Final FPS render (positioned to represent in game)
gl_ch_final_fps.jpg

wireframe
http://chrisholden.net/gl_ch_final_w.jpg

FPS super-sized render
gl_ch_final_fps2x.jpg

1146 triangles

Materials (1024x1024)
diffuse
normal
spec
glow

For anyone interested, the November Challenge is up. It's to make a bust, and I figured with all the awesome character/head modelers around here there's bound to be some great possibilities:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=752

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, nice job love the design and texturing done on this piece.

Thanx for sharing the link!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    nice work chris
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Like it a lot Chris! The scope is my favorite part. The normal map really gives the model that complete feeling, the spec map works very nicely as well.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I really dig this. At first, when I took a look at your diffuse map, I was really confused. To me, your diffuse map comes off as being almost a concrete texture. Then, in your FPS views, you have the really nice metal look. I'd imagine that's all in your spec map. I'm still trying to wrap my head around creating spec maps? What's the reason behind the cloudy 'purpleness' of some of the pieces on the spec map? Any tips/pointers/processes you'd care to share? Again, great work on this, extremely appealing. Did you win anything for tying for first?
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i digg the deisgn but theres some pretty nasty artefacts in the normal map you should have ironed out in photoshop
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Look really nice. The only part that looks odd to me is the scope, looks a little out of place. Aside from the possibility of sniping with a grenade launcher, the texture on it makes it look like it doesn't belong. The coloring is different from everything else, which helps it to stand out, but makes it look more like a side thought to the design, like someone had some spare scopes lying around that they just slapped on there. And there's nothing on the gun to show how it would connect, it's just kind of there. But that's just nitpicking, it's really sweet looking.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    cholden i think its about time you make some video tutorials ala poop, wouldn't you all agree?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Very very nice. What I really like is the subtle use of normal mapping, this is probably one of the first next-gen pieces that I actually like, and doesn't look like a big pile of shrinkwrapped muck.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    The design is nice but there seems to be a lack of detail-level shapes, especially for something designed to be right in the player's face. The first-level biggest shapes are nice, the mid-level are sweet, but then it kinda falls apart. I think incorporating more high-frequency detail forms, if only in a few areas, could have added a lot.

The colors you're getting through the metal (where the spec and diffuse meet) are beautiful. The red on the other hand feels really boring. Was the red a teamcolor?

Love seeing the ammo readout on the actual weapon - that's sweet. smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    grrreat work man