Home Technical Talk

3dsmax patch modelling

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
anyone got a handle on the workflow for this. I used surface tools years ago.
suppose ideally it would good to do a low poly head , convert to patch object and tweak from there, but you get tri patches when you do this.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use it for terrain, rolling hills, snowy hills, mountains, cliffs. Its nice because of the way it handles UV's now, makes it easy to toss a displacement on it and not have it stretch horribly like it would if it was just a plane. It is also nice to be able to select certain patches and displace only them. I don't see it working that well for character models because like you said when you convert it breaks it down to tris not quads which is a pain.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I have tried doing heads from patches before and its very tough compared to say subdiv techniques

suppose i could make it from splines and then surface it. anyway thanks vig, just doing some research really
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]

suppose i could make it from splines and then surface it. anyway thanks vig, just doing some research really

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats how i make my heads. i love it because you cna get the topology completly worked out before you make it 3d so you get a very clean model that is in mostly quads (if not all).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah its more or less like working with nurbs patches i suppose and there seems to be a lot more tools these days in max for patches.

Actually you can convert a quad model to a patch model and maintain quad patches using 'turn to patch' modifier