Home Technical Talk

Maya with Dual Monitors?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
Heya,

I recently got a second monitor (it's set as secondary display in dual view using nVivida's desktop tools), but it's almost useless to me when working in Maya.

The reason is that I can drag windows/toolbars just fine and use them, but I can't right click on anything - it just doesn't register, so if I want to say, go right click and select a shell in a UV window (that I just dragged over to the second display) nothing happens. I have to move the window back to the first display and work with it there.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i noticed that too. If I move maya to the 2nd view the right click menu disappears as well. It seems like since the 2nd view is an extended desktop, maya probably is only designed to run on the primary desktop.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    This is a known problem which is quite lame, I don't have an nvidia card any more but I think there is a way to set it up so right clicks work on both monitors, I think you have to set it to be one really long monitor instead of the dual view style double monitor setup? I'm pretty sure this is a problem with ati cards as well.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea this seems to be a problem with ATI cards as well (had an x800, now a 7900 and I now suffer random slowdowns when components are selected in the UV window).

It works with setting it to Horizontal Span (treats both monitors as one long display) but that's not ideal since one is a widescreen and one is 4:3 (distorted resolutions).

Looks like I'll have to cross my fingers and hope they fix it for v 8.5
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    is this specific to 8? i dont have that provblem on maya 7 running on a nvidia card and primary/secondary display..

you tried a few different drivers?
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    It used to be a problem, and you had to use horizontal span. I don't know when it was fixed (drivers?) but I use dual view now, with no problems. The issue was the secondary monitor didn't have hardware overlays (that's what Maya used for the labels and pop-ups). I just use the latest detonators and it's fine with Maya 7, 8 & 8.5 for me.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running seven and am using the latest drivers (released yesterday) and still nothing.

I'm looking into Horizontal Span right now and seeing how I can get the best results (primary monitor is in the middle, and secondary is on the left) and get it wrapping from right to left.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What the f? There is already a Maya 8.5, I haven't even finished my game with 7 yet. Cry.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    News to me, I don't see it mentioned on Autodesk's website. What does it add (lol) or improve/fix?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It works for me.
    I don't know what my exact set up is at work, but it's got some kind of nvidia card.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    These aren't he droids you're looking for....

Yeah, forget I mentioned the 8.5, there's no such thing. But, in general, by the time a new version is released, they've already been working on the next one for some time. What did you expect them to do while it goes through it's QA, packing, etc process? smile.gif