Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lowpoly german wehrmacht soldier

BlackThief
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
BlackThief polycounter lvl 17
hey guys,

here's a model I'm working on atm. Nothing original I know but as a history-freak I just had to do it wink.gif

Probably something for my portfolio later, it's aimed at modern RTS specs and weighs at 1700 triangles right now. (it'll be around 2000 including the gun and magazin pouches).
Textures are not scaled down yet, I think I'll go for 3x256² later.

gsoldier3.jpg

gsoldier4.jpg

looking forward to any comments & crits! smile.gif

Replies

• TTK-Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTK-Bandit polycounter lvl 17
    nice.. although the face looks a little too friendly imho.
    and the color of the clothes should be a little more greenish.. looks like black&white
    check out these images:
    http://www.hpwt.de/2Weltkrieg/Uniform.jpg
    http://www.mosnews.com/files/11263/020.jpg

the boots look weird.
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well as those are good refs, but they also had:

Allgemeine-SS.jpg
    Luftwaffe.jpg

greyish unform
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. I like the detail you have going on in the chest and pants. Don't forget to paint the shadow the helmet would cast on the head. =)

He also looks a little too "stuffed" or like someone blew him up like a balloon. Remember cloths hang off people they don't orbit them =P. Espeically soldiers out the field who are dirty, cold, and often wet, those cloths tend to fold and sag instead of stay stiff. I would also adjust the brightness/contrast to help the detail pop a tiny bit more.
    wehrmacht.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome crit vig
    great work so far blackthief, as said before, the only thing that bugs me is his facial expression, he seems to be complacent, or happy almost, but if you plan on having him running around in a game with war and death, you might want to make him a little more serious, or ready for a fight.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot guys - these are some awesome crits! thanks also a lot for the refs and paintovers. In fact the uniforms usually had this greenish tint, I simply had dificulties getting the colour right, so I decided to paint everything grey first.

so here're some updates. I tried to fix the balloon-like arms without adding more geometry, it's certainly not perfect, but I think it's better than before.

gsoldier6.jpg

here's also a closeup of the face - I think he doesn't look that happy wink.gif But I also didn't want to make the clich
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much improvement made, excellent work. Thank you for not going the demonazi route with the face, sometimes its hard for people to remember the common WW2 German soldiers where not genetically engineered to be hulking masses of pure evil who ate babies 4 times a day.

Facial emotion is very hard to nail down especially when you are only able to paint on a 2D flat. Thankfully things are moving toward Z-Brush and MudBox where you can work more directly on the model instead of bouncing back and forth. He has two sets of emotions coming from his face. The eyes are saying sorrow, the mouth is almost happy or smiling. Not so much because of the mouth itself but because of the laugh lines coming from the nose kind of indicate the cheek muscles are contracting in a smile. That fold of skin when relaxed sits closer to the corners of the mouth.

Here is a paint over of the face to help with his expression.
    wehrmacht_face.gif
    I brought out a little bit more of the sorrow in his face than I think he needs so I would find some good middle ground. Great work so far and I totally understand not wanting to start carving the model up, adding geometry and what not. Besides the tweaks you where able to do, really helped the model along. At this point I would call it good and keep the balloon effect in mind for the next model. Your not only modeling the jacket but the form underneath it and what it is doing to the jacket, its a hard lesson for some people to nail but I think you're on your way to getting it nailed =)

Ok I'll climb off my soapbox, good model keep at it!
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thank you for not going the demonazi route with the face, sometimes its hard for people to remember the common WW2 German soldiers where not genetically engineered to be hulking masses of pure evil who ate babies 4 times a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm German, pretty much every male member of my grandmothers family had to fight in WW2 - therefore it was out of question for me to do any kind of clich
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latest update - he finally got a gun and ammo! wink.gif

gsoldier8.jpg

texture:
    stexture3.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    there is still something wrong with the face expression and eyes , i might do a paintover if my system is fixed :P
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Great work so far, Vig has made some great points.

My main problem is the graininess of the clothing textures, the primary elements should be the folds and shading, which in this case are a bit flattened out by the grainy texture overlay.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see your point about the graininess. I used a cloth overlay when working on it at much higher resolution and it looked ok, but it doesn't look good at scaled down textures.

here's an update - I also did some small fixes to the head, still not entirely happy with it, so I'm looking forward to any suggestions and Johny's paintover.

gsoldier9.jpg