Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gremlin - First Post

Hi there. Long time listener, first time caller. I am making a Gremlin and I need some serious c&c. It is aimed at 10k polys, and it stands at 6300 now without the wings.

I need help especially with the arms/hands, as well as edgeflow.

Also, if you check out the concept, he has a lot of small horns/extrusions: How would it be best to model that. Seperate objects, or use the same geometry?

Wires:
wire1.JPG

wire2.JPG

wire3.JPG

wire4.JPG

Here is the concepts by Miles Teves:
Gremlin-color-72.jpg

Gremlin-Side-72.jpg

Gremlin-Front-72.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! It does look a bit more like a gargoyle than my impression of a gremin. Since they are both fictional I guess you can go with whatever you want.

For the tiny horns I would chamfer a vert and extrude the 4 sided poly it makes 2 times welding the second extrude to form a point. It will help when it animates if it is part of the same mesh. Since the seperate pieces won't have the same vert weighting as the arm and could float, or shift as you animate.

I would exagerate some of the features, such as the feet, head hands and mouth to look something like this;
    grem.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Nice paintover Vig, agreed. You could definitely collapse some of those edges you have running down his sides and legs, where you have two loops running very close together. Stop the collapsing at the point where the edges seperate out a bit and actually begin to define some form (probably just above the calf).Same goes for some of the edges running down the inner thigh/calf. Ditch that split you have modelled in at the base of the palm, and spend some polys to bulk out this area, the really flat part you have just below the fingers, and round out the fingers themselves. Looking nice so far though.
  • mannapi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: Thank you for the paintover! I called it a gremlin because the concept was calleda gremlin. I agree, I think it looks more like an imp or a demon. I will definately check out changing his proportions. I will also rely more on the colored concept from now on. The prportions don´t seem to match between them.

Cheese: Thanks! I really havent started to optimize him yet but i will keep it in mind. The mesh density ins´t perfect I admit.

I am going to take hi minto Zbrush soon. Just need to make wings and optimize the geo first. Just got a new computer so I can start working from home (don´t need to live at school anymore). I will post more updates as it progresses.