Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daredevil

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
I decided to do a remake of my favorite character "Daredevil". It is something I always wanted to do,I just never had the time to do him. It is also a good practice for next gen character design. So I went with the same specs like most of the game engines can do today. The model is arround 9k polygons and has 2048*2048 color, specular and normal. I had some problems with displaying normal maps in maya so I put it in max, where I was able to use more than one light. I used J.I. Styles skin shader, which is by far the best looking shader I've ever used. Thanx for the nice shader J.I. Styles. The model is still a WIP. Specular has to be done properly. I will also pose it and put him in simple enviroment. Here is direct screen capture from max viewport. Coments and critiques are wellcome.

2b04ffc7d2a4be3ff82f5ff29b5668e9_912.jpg

Replies

• tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    dang man nice work, lets see some texture flats, and wires.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice nice, try fixing the seams round the shoulders though
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    looks great overall, but I think you've over-straightened the line of his legs, which is wrecking the rhythm of his lower half. nice colors and lighting though, very dramatic smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    image dosent work for me.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Nice work man, even in a still position like that, I'm sure he's a better actor than Ben Afleck! :]

I would say add some more tone to the skin, he's a bit pale and one tone right now. Maybe try adding a little more texture to that suit as well, think the spidey costume in the movies. As far as presentation goes, the blue bounce light seems to be a bit much...for me atleast.

All-in-all Great piece, love the muscle definition. Keep us posted! :]
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, the only comments I have is that his pectoral muscles seem to low, making the lower body feel short in a way. Maybe bringing up the chest area will help that, and the hands seem a little long also..just double check some of your proportions, as you have a nice piece here. As for the pink ambient light, maybe try a render with a darker red to help show off the detail more, as all I kept seeing was pink:)

Spark
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That’s a nice piece of work! I can't tell if its the lighting or the spec but he is really shinny, very doom-shinny which always bothers me. If you managed to turn it down a few notches it would look perfect. he seems a bit thick in the side view, a little too much like a short body builder than an acrobat. Its not wrong the way you have him I have seem him drawn that way but I always have a hard time picturing him doing his thing when he’s that thick. His feet seem kind of small and is he wearing boots or shoes? of those are boots they need to be thickened up and we don't need to see such rich muscle definition showing through. Which brings up another point, cloth, leather, and spandex stretch across muscle folds instead of follow the muscle. To get something that form fitting you would need to a vacuum pump to suck the air out hehe. That’s a nit picky crit because you might be worried about muscle definition being readable from a distance, but still something to think about, because you can add gap stretching detail =)

VERY impressive piece of work you have I look forward to seeing more =)

<font color="red">EDIT:</font>
    daredevil.gif
    I did a paint over to show the changes from solid body builder to lanky acrobat, I also painted some stretched fabric over the pecks and a few other areas, since I figure he isn't hooked up to a vacu-seal =)
    List of changes:
    - Stretched his torso, to move his ribs off his hip bone.
    - Stretched his thighs since the thigh bone is the longest bone in the human body.
    - Smoothed out some of the deep parts between the muscles, so the muscles are less tumor-ish.
    - Dropped his crotch down and gave him a wee bit bigger package holder.
    - Sized up his feet since a naked foot is as long as the inside part of your forearm.
    - added a lip to the top of the boots for silhouette definition.
    - Shaved a few pixels off his sides and back muscles.
    - Thickened up his feet and gave him boots (yeah yeah they look like Ronald McDonald shoes, I'm at work and its the last thing I touched...)

So there ya go now that I punched you in the nuts a few time, I'll let you get back to work =) I really do like the model =D
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree with Vig.

DD isn't a bodybuilder, he's a thin acrobat. Think 'Spider-Man'.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanke you guys for the kind words. It really helps to keep me motivated.

tremulant: I will post wires and flats once I am finished with him.

SHEPEIRO: Yeah man, those seems are killing it. I will fix them asap.

noritsune: I will look more into those curves on his legs. Thanx for pointing that out. The monotone desaturated look just wouldn't work on him. So I choose a dramatic lightning and saturated colors:)

EarthQuake: Strange. Sometimes fotohing just doesn't work. Try to look at him some other time. Maybe you will have more luck than.

Geezus: LOL. He defently is a better actor than Afleck. That is not so hard to surpass his acting skills. Yeah his skin is really abit pale. Probably too much saturated lightning with high intensety does that. I will look into it. As foor the suit. I was thinking the same thing. Spiderman has nice looking web over his suit. I will change the letters into shiny metal, also add some more shiny parts, to balance the design of suit. But not too much. Becouse I don't want to ruin that clasic daredevil look. Lightning is temporal.

Spark: Thanx man. I will chacke all those proportoins once again, and will try to adress all the problems. As for the lightning it is not final but a good reference was a poster from DD movie, which had that pink rim light.

Vig: Thanx for the nice coments. I agree. Specular is to strong for him. Maybe leather will have such specularity, but the fabric will defenetly be toned down. Also the face will get ne spec. This spec is just a temporal so I will do it again. Yeah I put some thought into that part also. In one picture he is a skiny spiderman like, on the other is like Arnold streching his muscles on XXL way smile.gif I have a picture where he is a bodybuilder, so I prefered that look. And that was also the main goal. To make him strong. As for folds. Again some pictures show him with ubber elastic material and others with folding cloth and leather. I will make a trade off here. I will add folds to the cloth becouse it will look much more convincing with them, thanx for pointing that out. The stretched fabric over the pecks are nice thouch. I will defently do that. Again for the proportions I will chacke them again and try to fix all the problems. But he will stay bodybuilder. It would be too much streching if I would go into such extremes.

skankerzero: Thanx for the coment.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice model!
    terminator's body, yeah.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Askhat: Yeah sort of terminator body.

Well here is the list of changes:

-moved down belt and weapon caising
    -pectoral muscles have been risen
    -knees lowered and widen abit
    -biceps is longer and abit thinner
    -hands shorten
    -new specular map
    -defined some more normal map on seams and cloth
    -added folds to the clothing
    -played with the lightning some more

Next step will be a simple background and I will pose him into that scene.

647e6001658c4564dcf8a2df1a77181b_e0e.jpg
    00d0d3024c1e29c4e9c6bbeea62ba64d_e0e.jpg
    4324ba899a50193cf745be18b16c7c2d_e0e.jpg
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is the final render of character.
    I did a printscreen in max and put everything into photoshop and created a background with some post effects. I hope you like it.

Daredevil_final
    textures:
    color
    normal
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome except the hips are less than half the height they should be. it makes it look like you modeled the upper half and legs and then loosely connected them
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the coment snemmy.

It looks like his torso is to short. But in reality his torso is bended towards the camera. I wanted to do a more dynamic pose.
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    I think the model and texture is awesome, but somehow that dynamic pose doesn't work. I don't like how camera positions make him look like midget because of the forshortening. Maybe I'm too use to seeing comic book warped perspective.
    I was hoping to also see a pic without so much black/dark shadowing. It would really bring out the quality of the texture.