Home Technical Talk

Standalone batch image processing tools?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
We're doing an overhaul of mipmaps in our game. I was wondering, does anyone have recommendations of a good batch image processing tool?

Ideally I want to be able to automate precise levels, hue \ sat shifting and resizing multiple times over thousands of textures.

Thanks!

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    The first thing that comes to mind is Imagemagick, but that's a bit bloated and messes up alpha channels :\
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I know its precisely not what u asked for, but have you considered doing it via photoshop?

you can write scripts to automate everything in photoshop (not actions, they are way less flexible)

have a word with your TD/ technical artists and see what they say. I've made a few clumsy artist attempts at scripts, and they've chopped days off my schedule, they've reduced some tasks to a tiny fraction of their previous time.

sorry if this is already discounted as an option for you guys, i just thought i'd mention it. smile.gif
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapalerT: Imagemagick, eh? I'll check that out and see what I can do with it, thanks!

wallasaurus: I knew Photoshop could do it but I was really hoping to avoid doing any scripting if I could. smile.gif As it happens, I'm pretty much the entire art department, so it would all fall on me to do if I go that route. I'll still look into it though. Thanks!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jon Jones, try using Adobe Bridge. Create an action then run it on the batch.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHA, Bridge! Kick ass, I totally forgot that even existed. Thanks man!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on Jon. Let me know how it goes.