Home Technical Talk

UnrealED Noob question...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
I am trying to select a brush and it won't let me...how come?

Another thing is when I pick a Texture package....and I see all the textures and try to select one, it selects a diffrent texture below the one I click...what the hell is going on?

This UnrealED is the one that came with Unreal 2k4 Editors Edition by the way.

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Are you trying to select in the perspective view or ortho views? If you try to select a brush in perspective view, and you're not in wireframe mode, you'll just select the face of the BSP. Switch to wireframe to select the actual brush.

The texture select thing is a common problem, I think. Can you never select the texture you want? Usually I click on what I want to select, it selects something below my intended texture, and I just click on what I want until it selects it.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Are you trying to select the Builder Brush or a BSP cut that you've already made? If you want to select your brush, it's the RED box in the editor. You can toggle it on and off with the B key, try selecting it in an orthographic view if you're having trouble with clicking it in the perspective view.

If you're trying to move a BSP cut that you've already made, meaning and extraction/room that you cut out already, then you're looking for a a gold/yellow box. Again it's probably easier to select it in a side or top view so you don't accidentally grap the face. Once you move around a bsp cut, you have to rebuild for your changes to take effect.

As far as the texture selection thing goes, no idea there man.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in Ortho view...Top view actually, and i hid the constructor actor and i still cant select the bsp. as a matter of fact, i cant even select the constructor either. In the perspective view i am trying to select the face of the bsp so i can add a texture and it is not letting me. oin the video tutorial from 3d buzz it is very simple and i can not do the same thing in that video.

Texture picker is still not working...almost broke my mouse trying to select a specific texture. smile.gif
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have locked selection on? Theres a little button that looks like a lock on the very bottom of the interface. It's right next to grid snap and DrawScale3D and the other buttons down there. If there is a small blue box surrounding the button, that means it's turned on and your selection is locked.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope it is not locked....

I am using UT2004_BUILD_[2005-11-23_16.22]. Is this my problem?
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know the specific build versions and their differences. Unless theres some specific thing with that version that doesn't let you move bsp around after building it, then I'm out of guesses. Maybe get the newest patch or go get a breath of fresh air, sometimes that fixes things smile.gif

Good luck
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    part of the texture selection issue is if there is any transparency. One of the best ways to get which texture you want is to click on its name area. That usually works well. Not sure on the brush area. I haven't done much mapping, but from what I have done I haven't had issues selecting faces via perspective or the brushes. :shrug: There might be an upgrade out.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, but still no luck on the selecting or texture problem. This is very strange.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading every Unrealed forum out there I fiigured it out...I had to change my AntiAliasing on my graphics card...solved both the texture and selecting problems....thanks for all your help anyways guys.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    ah to late smile.gif i had that problem when i was using the bloated unrealeditor that came with tom clancy's raven shield.

Glad you solved it!