Home Technical Talk

XSI texture pixel consistency

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hi! I am modeling some environments in XSI and having problems with texture pixel consistency. By texture pixel consistency, I mean the size of texture pixels being equal on different poygons.

What I do is create the meshes, then unwrap and apply some textures and adjust the UV sizes by hand. But there will be hundreds of surfaces to be unwrapped. So, I wonder if there is a way to automatically create cubic or planar mapping on surfaces with consistent pixel density in XSI like in Hammer Editor or GTK Radiant.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know XSI, but I'd hazard a guess that if you could relax the UVs on all the meshes at the same time, the relax algorithm would auto-resize all the texels to the same size.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the suggestion but XSI's relax tool seems to be distorting my rectangular polygons in the texture(UV) editor, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll play with it some more tomorrow...and texel! That's the word I tried to remember all the day.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    create a cube the size you want the tile to cover
    apply a cubic mapping to it, but don't freeze the modeling, hide the cube, you will just have the gizmo representing the cubic map

select the object you want to assign the uvmap to, then do property>texture projection>connect to support, give it a name and select the gizmo

and there we go

you can make different sizes of cubes to fit different texture coverage and your pixel density will always be the same, you just have to move the uvs if you want specific parts of the texture to be applied to certain polygons
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! That's great. Thank you very much!