Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zinedine Zidane

Super
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Super polycounter lvl 18
[Updates at bottom of page]

Challenged myself to do a likeness test, as I've never done one before. Boy, it's harder than I anticipated. Decent (consistantly aged) ref was hard to find, but here's where I'm at. Figured I'd ask for crits as some of you guys do likeness for a living (respect!) plus I'm at that point where I can't see what needs changing now.

zi3.jpg

Replies

• joolz8000
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good start. How about showing us your refs?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, I always thought his chin and head weren't as wide as that though... he's a bit more "pointy" than chiselled and lantern-jawed, I think.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    definitely a good start. I think that your neck is much too long. people have a tendency to really overdo the length of the neck (as well as the arms and torso).
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    kinda reminds me of harrison ford lol
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    You know I was trying to figure out who he looked like, and Mr. Carlyle reminded me. C'mon Super, don't make a sports guy, make Indie or Deckard!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    kinda reminds me of harrison ford lol

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...I'm sorry for You Super but at this time in view front I see also more Harrison Ford than Zizou.
    IJ2T_002.jpg
    <u>BUT DON'T GIVE UP</u> I would to like ( and not only me, I'm sure )to see how it will turn in right way.

Anyway - for rights crits and for to be objective - You have to post some reference or could be better some "model sheet" of our hero this world champ. 2006 laugh.gif

What's Your reference for Zizou ?

• Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Harrison Ford? Christ. Here's basically the 3 main reference/best images I've been using.

zidane_ref.jpg
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on - wait 15 minutes
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    well -just quickly .... from view front -eyes has to be larger to the nose; lip up needs more form and the res You see.... zizou_front.jpg

side view -I'm not sure if Your pick side is realy good one -
    ( cause I see more special expression of Zizou then real Zizou's profile )...
    but if You want You can work on it -
    zizou_side.jpg

I'm sure that You see already all Your mistakes.

DON'T GIVE UP wink.gif
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for taking the time to do that, really hits home what needs changing.

I couldn't find a better side shot than that one, despite his expression. Plus I think the front one is fairly different to how he looks nowdays (older, I mean). But mistakes are glaring, I'll work on it some more and post an update. Thanks again, super helpful.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. Be careful about that profile shot. He's looking slightly up. (not height of the ears in relation to the area between the eyebrows and nose)
    But it's difficult to say if that's 100% true or not because there are varations in the height relations of what I mentioned above.

One sure way to try and fix that would be to match your profile then rotate the head down close to where it matches your front ref.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say don't limit yourself to front, side, and perspective - grab a fairly nice amount of pictures from different angles and light conditions, and keep jumping from one to the other to feel his features. I found this really helpful for past projects.

I don't have much experience about likeness modelling, but why not practicing his features by doing a few shaded photoshop sketches? I'm sure that if you can convey a likeness in 2D, you'll be likely to success in 3D. Then again, just a thought...

A nice one in Marseille(s)
    malmousque_zidane_2.leg.jpg
    No fake!

He has been in many ads too, I think it can help to get the idealized features spot on.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't have much experience about likeness modelling, but why not practicing his features by doing a few shaded photoshop sketches? I'm sure that if you can convey a likeness in 2D, you'll be likely to success in 3D. Then again, just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like DAZ -

cutout.jpg

loops.jpg

yeah this will help surely - just do it and look at tuto of DAZ, can be helpful for You.
    here is :
    http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/hi_poly_tut.htm
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Finally got time to work on this again at the weekend, here's an update. Closer I think, the side especially, although I didn't copy the side exact as I tried to get a balance from various types of shots as pior said. Daz's tutorial is awesome, I forgot about that. Those techniques help tons.

For me, the 3/4 is the most off.. and yet I can't for the life of me point out why.

zi4.jpg
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah Daz seems to be a master of character likenesses. I really liked that tutorial as well. Its Looking really good so far but his brow seems very low. Zidane does have a very powerful brow but I dont think its that low. Try raising it up slightly.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Getting closer. The upper lip should be fuller, the side view is looking good. His brow doesn't cover up that much of his upper-eyelids, try rasing the brow as Cybroxide said.
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers fellas. Any closer?

Having to keep importing 500k meshes into Maya just to check perspective sucks. Roll on Mudbox.

zizu_001.jpg
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    The upper lip neeed still more form and eyes needs to be a little bit more opened .... think so.
    You're getting closer.
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Who is this guy?
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea, don't do the obvious thing and look it up... nothin but luv slash =P
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    oki doki Super ,
    I'm NOT an expert in a likeness and
    I don't claim that my work "PAINT-OVER" is at 100% all right . I've spent my evening with Your work ,cause I don't want You to give up (resign) this model.
    It's just my opinion about the look of "Z.Zidane".
    I hope that my "PAINT-OVER" will help You.
    I've made choice of Your reference "BLACK&WHITE" as the best one.

zizou_paintover.jpg

Here's the most important retouch what I've done :
    * eyes more open
    * lip up more form (shape)
    * position of the whole mouth little bit up
    * nose more large

What You think ? Anybody's got other suggestion ?
    Highpoly artists can You give some crits for Super ?

Go on. wink.gif
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    That re-touch also shows a lack of "puff" underneath the eyes. You've got the markings but you need to put above the line out. You also need to bring it a bit further around (that image above shows that the puffiness extends to right underneath the eye).
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    diZzyWalnut, cheers once again fella. Nice of you to do that. Most of that looks better except for the eyes, in my opinion what gives Zizu his identifiable look is his frowning brow and focued eyes. That front picture of him is not only when he was younger, but he's posing neutrally (which unless you have pinups of his photoshoots on your walls, you don't really see him doing). He's also kind of droopy eyed, looking sad. That's not me saying I've perfected the eyes or anything, but you see him with that beady eyed look more often than not, so I'd rather get the eyes closer to one of the other pictures above for instance than that front shot.

I think what you've done shows how far out the lips are though, and as thnom said, the area under the eyes. Chin also looks better in the paintover.

All noted, I'll have to wait until the weekend to work on it again *sigh*, but I'll fix some of those things. Maybe I should've picked someone more recognisable (should've said it was Ford, doh), most people seem to not know who he is (mostly on American forums, which is fair enough I suppose as the game is not like a national sport there). Good job I posted here then, really.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    ...it's NOT so easy.I know. mad.gif
    Hey SUPER , I've got another suggestion - You have to model <u>"THE EYE BROW"</u> (and even his hear), cause I'm sure this will help You determine his eyes and whole look ( his expression).
    Anyway You're going to make normal map , non ? cool.gif

Good luck wink.gif