Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lineage 2 Dark Elf Fighter

Hi, here is my first lowpoly normal mapped character. Ive modelled it after a wallpaper from "Lineage 2 chronicle 5" and ive tried to model it as close as possible to the image.

Character Polycount: 6170 tris.
Textures: 1024x1024, Color, Specular, Normal. 256x256, Hair.
Software: Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop.

Sword Polycount: 396 tris.
Textures: 512x512, Color, Specular, Normal, Glow
Software: Maya and Photoshop.

Since im fairly new to lowpoly im quite sure that theres certain things that could be done better or "smarter" so please dont hesitate to bash* uhm.. criticize the model. =)

All images are cropped screen grabs from the Maya viewports taken at 8xFSAA, no post-processing.

Full_char_front_Back.jpg

Reference Image
Sword Closeup
Character T-pose

Highpoly:
Sword closeup 1
Sword closeup 2
Armour closeup
Legs closeup

Visit my homepage for more pictures and 360 spin: http://www.martinocheng.com

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work. i think the face still needs some work. It looks like it's a little to flat in the front, especially under the eyes.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    He needs alot of love given to his diffuse and spec textures to bring him to life. the normals look good but the other maps let down the model.

examples of where he needs it would be the head, you have no tonal variation up there, in the ref hes got black makeup around his eyes, yours doesnt. The metal over all doesnt look like metal at all its wayyy too clean so put some grime on there and push it with a good noisy spec map. same goes with the cloth, just make the spec there none.

you have a great model, but its not done.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I would work on the lighting setup here as well, it's making the render needlessly ugly. Do you have an ambient light at all? if you do, make it something other than grey. Consider adding a backlight, and moving your key light to an angle other than head-on.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Great model, have to agree with the above posts. With the changes this model would look great!.
  • Ocheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, first off sorry i forgot to post the textures.
    Elf textures
    Sword textures

As you can se on the texture, it is quite dark around the eyes but it doesnt show very well, i had darker before but i toned it down, i think it looked silly but i can play around with it a bit more. The specular on the face however i can agree has no variation and should be looked over, any paintover or tutorial would be welcome.
    head closeup:
    headcloseup.jpg

As for the lightsetup, i have used only pointlights with various intensity and there all white :/. A little more explained use of ambient lights, (placing,etc) would be nice. Heres 2 screenshots of my lightsetup.
    lightsetup.jpg
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    some nice stuff on your site. and good model.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    What you have so far for the difuse is just the basic colors layed out thats just the start of your work. You need a lot more work put into that before you should be calling it done. For one bake out a abient occlusion map and overlay that on to it then a shit load of over lays to give the textue some grit to it. Get in there and define each materail with diffrent overlays. Once you get the diffuse texture looking good use that as the base for your spec map and add even more variation into that.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    to follow up on the lighting thing - here's a light setup that was passed down to me by my sensei. it works well for characters and props in maya viewport. Other rendering modes (maya High Quality view, mental ray notably) will need the values to be less. the key is getting COLOR into the lights without overdoing it... white lights and black/grey ambient is just so ugly. dont do it to yourself!

All of TGZ's texture suggestions are pimp.

pc_lights_01.jpg
  • AfterbanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to add that I love this model. Im a fan of the lineage 2 art work. But I'm new to character modeling, so I can't really suggest anything other then work on the face to give it some life. Everything else overpowers it completely.

Good work! I hope to see more =)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    lovin the soul edge sword dude.