Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new mod asset

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
just finished a ooo so wonderful asset for a ww2 mod I'm a level designer for. I'm sorta having to give the rest of the team a idea of the style the mods going to be. My first somewhat successful high poly projection model using the projection modifier in max. Its 280 polys, and I may crunch it down by 20 or so. Any crits or ideas on what to add or change would be great.

finalrendercs3.jpg
finalrender2sn4.jpg

Replies

• Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i guess level designer implies prop modeler these days?
    i like it, the texturing looks a little generic which is fine if you're going to be using a lot of these, but i think it would looka bit better with some unique texturing detail. and yeah, 280 polys is a bit much for it, but it shouldn't be hard to reduce the polycount.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    the metal isnt very convincing, looks more like concrete with the spec cranked up. tone down the normal bump on the metal a bit, it looks like its been coroded after sitting in the ocean for a few years smile.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Looks way too monochormatic, add some pretty colors in there. Or atleast make the metal and siding different colors.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to do the same asset as someone, atleast make sure you texture it as well =D
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=154024&an=0&page=1#Post154024
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you could make that from 12 polygons and a normal map.

I swear to you, no-one would ever notice.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, normal maps are there to be used to fake complex geometry after all, you only need to use real polygons if its really going to change the silhouette quite dramatically. I'm a killer for over-detail but this COULD be done with just 12 polies.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    if anything, id cut the hatch polygons as NormalDetail, but keep the bevels on the edges of the box. You'd be surprised how much taking the time to add the extra polygons on the edges to try to elliminate jaggies helps.

The metal edges do seem a little too fucked up to be natural. Id go in maybe and add some dinks, dents, and even some ripped fabric, exposing wood underneath (rims of box)

depending on what engine you're putting it in, you could lose the inner bevels as well... but lighting will do some nice things to those areas. A couple extra polygons wont kill you, just be sure your textures arent massive, and you dont have 8 of them.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I lowered the polys by a bit over 100, with keeping the edges chamfered. Gave a bit more color to the texture so its not soo mono. I've still got the hatch/latches modeled, but I'm going to see how well they look just being normals. The diffuse texture gives the look of the metal of being worn alot, so I'll have to work on that. Thanx for all the replies so far, it helps alot, my instructors are a bit useless at this point on giving me constructive advice. smile.gif

ren1sl4.jpgwire1gr2.jpgren3ze7.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    not sure what your ref is like, but some ideas for the canvas:

istockphoto_1280399_old_book_cover.jpg
    Old_book_cover_with_tape_binding.jpg
    canvas_book_texture.jpg

specifically, the edges of the books, and how that meets areas of high friction - the rims of the lid and box part.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i think you should bake out a AO map from your high poly asset and multiply it over your texture to get some more depth in it. Otherwise nj. I think the canvas looks pretty good. Maybe put some stocker or logo on there.
    I think the metal is a bit to messy with to much stuff goin on. little hard to "read". Lastly maybe increase the contrast or even go for a different kind of material for the eh "cornercovers"