Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dinorider triceratops

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
thought these were the most awesome thing when i was around.. hum 5. hahah.
well, a little commemoration for the little me that once was.
its a mudbox/max thing, i used the jurassic park triceratops as modeling reference, then built the dinorider equipment around it.
i wanted to make the body more detailed, with bumpy skin and such,
but not sure how i'd get it into 3ds max, without making my computer twist and scream in agony, before dying a silent death, or alternatively have a slideshow viewport?
there was also some errors in the mirroring, i tried doing half a model in mudbox, to ease the 3ds max polycount,
but it created a seam down the middle of the boney trica fan.
hmmh. any tips for a GFX cpu deprived dude? (9700 mobility)
some tips for unwrapping this would be great too.
overexposedinorider.jpg
dinorider2.jpg

Replies

• Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah... forget a Lamborghini... pull up in your Cannon packing Tri' and wow the ladies.

Some ideas... You could sell the weight of the weapons by making the tissue around the feet more compressed and bulged, and tighten up some of the muscles to look like he is really lugging those blasters.

smile.gif And perhaps some fluffy dice too.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I still have my triceratops somewhere. He was the only dinosaur to withstand the bb-gun firing brigade. They made them out of some space age plastic.

bumpy skin and all that goodness would be done in mudbox, i imagine, with the level 1 or 2 subdivided mesh then ported to max for normal mappage. If you're not interested in normals, though, split the model into manageable pieces. Haul in each leg as seperate meshes and detail them in max... that should produce a slightly more compliant program.

Its looking good, matches what I remember. Are you going to make a manta-headed dude to ride it? Wait... i guess those were the bad guys, so he'd be getting stomped
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, i'm trying to meld this:
    jurapark_012.jpg
    with this:
    DinoRiderTriceratopsARMORED.jpg

with the feel of this:
    DRSeries2Picture.jpg

and heres the bad guys toys:
    DinoRiderTriceratops2.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ha, i knew he was on the bad guy's side.

you tricked me by switching the purple to red.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    So thats where the snake guy came from in my toy colection.... I have been trying to figure that out for years.
  • Caravaggio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caravaggio polycounter lvl 17
    The t-rex was always too expensive for me to get... ...this is why men invented the 3d package - so we can have any toy we want. smile.gif

Nice work there. Doesn't mudbox have a displacement map export?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    oh god! Talk about blast from my past. I used to watch my Dino Rider videos like every other day. I remember their intros were similar to that A-Ha Music video, But with Dinosaurs, haha.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Ahah truely a classic! I'll side with Neo_God on this one, I used to watch those videos more than any human should. Model looks great so far dejawolf, steering towards a more realistic triceratops is still fits very well. Can't wait to see how this progresses.