Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blalock Hind ?

cochtl
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cochtl polycounter lvl 18
thing76.jpg

i modeled this from a concept piece i made a long time ago. it clocks in at 6000 tris. i wanted to keep a relatively smooth shape but overshot my 5k limit frown.gif

1024 dif, normal, and spec textures used

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, the design is interesting, and the mesh itself looks good, but I'm not convinced by the textures.
    You say there's a specular map on there, but I can't see evidence of it anywhere.
    It might just be your lighting, but the normal map looks pretty weird too. There's no real flow or design to the main shapes, it's just goopy splotches in different colours.

I just think this would be much improved by more unity between your normal/diffuse/spec maps. Right now they barely hold any relation to each other, which is just making it look a bit messy.

Like I say though, it's a nice design, and the model itself has a good sense of mass and power, but the normal-map and textures just aren't doing it for me.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with mop, nice design and mesh but the textures are a mess. Too bussy for a start, things just don't blend together nicely. What kind of skin does the creature have, reptillian, hide? Decide and then get some texture refs from real life and be creative from there. This guy has potential with some lovin.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i played around with the lighting to make it pop some. i didnt know how best to make a bright and colorful texure on a thick skinned leathery type bug legged creature. i also didnt want to make the skin very shiny (its a black and white spec as well). thanks for the comments so far tho. i'll have to get cracking on something that makes more sense i guess.

thing78.jpg

thing77.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    what is your spec and gloss set to?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    He looks cute. Kinda has a king tut look with the protrusion comin of his chin.

The last shots there really help the guy pop some more.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    lets see your flats and wires?

the number of tris and texture space don't seem to be evident when looking at the critter.

I agree with everyone else - its got a good, interesting design, and the silhouette conveys some nice power. just needs that extra bit of loving.

leathery bug critter? but the best part about bugs is getting that great opalescent sheen.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    This could do with some height map lovin, some scales and wrinkles etc, finer detail.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice goatee. What are you using to preview the mesh in Max? Is it the default DirectX 9 shader?
  • creativicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig the design of the creature! Nice balance and proportions, he looks fast and heavy at the same time which isn't easy to pull off.
    My critique on the design would be that the hind legs have too many articulations (all creatures, even birds, have the same number of articulations. Don't know about fishs though \(^_^)/ )
    They also look a bit thin to support all that weight but I'll buy it since it gives it that superfast look.
    I agree with everyone else about the spec and details. It would be nice to see some material change as well.
    Awesome creature, love it