Home Technical Talk

starting a new character model.

Jarrod1937
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
I just joined the forums and am going to be starting my new character for illusion of destiny (my game in the making). i am hoping to get critiques and advice as i model and texture him.
so far i am mainly just an environmental artist however recently i have picked up character modeling. below are my attempts at modeling so far.
1.) 1st ever attempt at a human.
2.) My second attempt at a human, a terrorist type character.
3.) My third attempt, supposed to be a nazi type character, at one point i thought this was good....
4.) my latest attempt at a human, this is a medieval themed soldier and we also have his head..
the tools i have are 3ds max 7, zbrush, and photoshop cs. although i just recently bought zbrush so i am a complete noob with it.
the limitations i have with it are not too low at all. i can have a max of 5,000 polys.
the character i am wanting to do is a mage-type human guy with a robe on that possibly has a few tears in it. i will more than likely be making it lowpoly at first them taking it itno zbrush and subdividing it and working from there for the high poly normal map generation mesh.
i'll be starting ti tonight, hopefully i can count on getting all of your opinions as i am making the model.
thanks.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Be sure to put it in the P&P section for feedback and critiques.

right off the bat, i'd say the photosourcing is a little blaring.

looking forward to seeing your progress on this.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok, still new to these forums and didn't know that the P&P section is for critiques, i'll be sure to do that.
    and what is ment by this comment, "i'd say the photosourcing is a little blaring.", i understand what it means but it can be interpreted in quite a few different ways. do you mean that my photosourcing is too much? do you mean that my photos being used as a source are to blaring themselves? that the photosourcing is to obvious? etc.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, the photosourcing is too obvious.
    What kind of theme are you going for your new character? Like, with your oriental guy, when I think of oriental game art, two games come to mind, jade empire, and guild wars factions. I would study those two games and you'll notice that a lot of there character textures are handpainted.

your medieval guy, kinda looks like a 3d head pasted onto a photo of a suit of armor. The contrast is very differnt, light sources are different, etc. still, good progress for your forth model. quite nice. next step is to know the art, not the tool. Leanr how to paint some hot textures and you'll be rockin.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yes, thats what I meant.

It looks like you're only using photosourcing, and no 'real' texturing, which makes things all look flat, since you're using images meant to be seen only from one very specific angle.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you point me to some good texture painting tutorials using photoshop then please? and if possible texture painting for characters. i have good experience with photoshop and have on some occasions produced pure 100% photoshop textures, but only for simple stuff like weapons... so for characters this'll be difficult. so are you guys saying i should never use photos? or just a mixture of photos and handdrawn stuff when needed? if so then when will i know when its needed?
    thanks, and i'll look at the tutorials tomorrow.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i think photos are good for getting the material of an object to look right. for instance, if you need metal. why not find a good picture of some metal and use it as an overlay. the main thing is continuity. if it looks like it all fits nicely, then great!.

you should check out the sdk thread in the archives for some good examples on how to paint character textures, also bill's website is really good.
    (link anyone?) i think it's something like benremigal.com or something.
    he goes through some step by step stuff.
    texturing well will take practice though, so dont kill yourself with the first one, you can always come back and re work it later when you've improved.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

(link anyone?) i think it's something like benremigal.com or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.benregimbal.com/ grin.gif
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is some excellent stuff on that site.
    so, are you saying i can use photos for parts that it will work for but if it has a particular lighting direction visible in the image or glare or large extruded areas that produces large shadows and comeoff as flat i should use hand-drawn stuff?
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think photos are good for getting the material of an object to look right. for instance, if you need metal. why not find a good picture of some metal and use it as an overlay. the main thing is continuity. if it looks like it all fits nicely, then great!.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but when painting a character it's better to paint it all by yourself since its very unique compared to just a metal surface or plate.