Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New images on website

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
Hey y'all, I have fixed up my site some more and included new art and repaired the orc tutorial link. Here are some samples...

a_speedorc_f.jpg

a_gunner.jpg

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, 100% amazing work dude, really, really cool. that Orc has some amazing texture detail, so fine!

And that cyborg style head is impressive, but again, its making me think why the Quake 4 enemies never looked this cool. That cold colour set just works for these kind of models, instead of bright orange, lol. Fantastic.

Great work, really, really great!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work man. Is there any better images of that white sculpt from your frontpage?..
  • raphick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouaw, these are totally amazing for a noob like me...

Great Job Bro'...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice new stuff Dave.
    I feel that the normalmapped cyber-head guy could do with a more interesting diffuse/spec texture though. The metal parts are all kinda blurring into a dark mass at the moment, and the blood seems to be the same shininess as the flesh. Also the guy's eyes seem rather boring at the moment. Another pass on the diffuse/spec and maybe an additional glow map would really help this guy out.
    Keep up the good work smile.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Looking sweet Dave, I remember alot of the cool textures you were doing for D&D, you have about 20 more of those to post:) Great stuff all around, and looking forward to more cool shit down the road.

Spark
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Agh, u never let the orc lie!
    I agree with MoP on the Strogg bust.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Hey Spark, a lot of the cooler textures where remixes of other peoples work, and I was uncomfortable taking credit for all the work. I will have to go through the files again and find more of the ones I was comfortable with posting.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Razor...

but I would have let it lie...

(only funny if you know Vic Reeves tv show)
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Damn fine work
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    one question. when modeling do you start high poly then reduce the poly count to produce the low poly one? or do you start low poly then subdivide to make the high poly version?
    if you start high poly then go low poly what method do you use for the polycount reduction?
    sorry for all the questions but i am new to character modeling and generating normal maps from high poly meshes. i use 3ds max 7 and have zbrush if you're wondering (very recently just got zbrush).
    thanks!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Start low then zbrush to get high is the usual method.

King of Daveness - Sick work dude! Really nice stuff.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Jarrod, since there are no really good poly reduction tools out there that keep things like edge flow and what not. It's just better to build a new low poly model around the high poly model.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jarrod, since there are no really good poly reduction tools out there that keep things like edge flow and what not. It's just better to build a new low poly model around the high poly model.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ah, so you make a high poly model and then make a seperate low poly one using the high poly as a template? that makes a bit more sense to me then. thanks.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually dont start with the low.

Build the hi poly model first, usually using a flow suitable for subdividing up and then z-brushing.

You build the low over the high res, usually starting with the unsubdivided mesh. however you often need to reconstruct peices to work better with the final topology.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    That's how they do it at blur. I know because I watched a gnomon dvd that said so.