Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

al swearengen

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
spitty polycounter lvl 17
here's a screengrab from zbrush of a model i'm working on of swearengen from the tv show Deadwood. i still need to do a lot of work on his hair, and i plan to try to add tiny details to his face like pores and fine lines. this will eventually be used for a normal map for a low poly model. c and c are welcome.

swearengen.jpg

here's a ref pic i'm using for those who don't know who he is
swearengenref.jpg

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, awesome. You could sharpen up some of the wrinkles around his eyes and such, but you said you plan to add some details and fine lines, so I guess you've already got that covered smile.gif.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I love this character! Keep us updated.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Very good likeness. The real question is, how well can you animate him dropping the f-bomb in 60 seconds? (I realize that joke is lost if you've never seen the show) hehe :]

In your reference, his ear looks to be a tad bit larger than in your sculpt. Additionally his face seems to be a bit wider in the reference. Looks a little creepy without those eyebrows, hehe. Really nice work...I especially like the gobbley bits of skin, keep us posted.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very good likeness. The real question is, how well can you animate him dropping the f-bomb in 60 seconds? (I realize that joke is lost if you've never seen the show) hehe :]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding laugh.gif. Every episode is pretty much, "F___ that f___ing ____sucker. That f___ing ____sucker is probably busy sucking ____ as we speak. F___."
  • Psionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    A great likeness, look forward to seeing the finer details go on there!!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    LOVE that fucking show! Do Swearengen justice. Looks like you have his jowls down spot on.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    Very very very nice! Maybe you can at some more detail on his ears.. but that's just a tiny detail wink.gif
    Can you post a pic of the low poly mesh which is going to use the normal map?
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, great show from what I've seen of it (netflixing it). This is a good likeness and I think once you get the eyebrows in there and align the ear, it'll be spot on.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a quick update. i've done some more zbrushing and made the lowpoly version and a normal map. the low poly is about 1,800. does that seem too high? i think i might cut out some polys and make the inside of his mouth.

i hope to start on his texture this weekend.

highpoly on the left, low on the right. max 7 viewport grab using metal bump for normal map.

swearengenfrontlow.jpg

swearengen3qrtrtlow.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good. 1800 seems fine to me, you dont want to have that ugyl doom3/quake4 normal mapped box face look going on.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    That looks beautiful. In a very manly way, of course. I agree with EQ.
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    this looks badass, what size map are you using for the lowpoly head?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty damn close to the cocksucker
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    OMG its lovejoy aka ian mcshane. isn't he dead yet?
    nice model BTW though perhaps he is looking too much detail, not enough form if that makes sense
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! And is a really good likeness. However his ears look really unnatural.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Great work and the likeness is good too. But I think it looked better in your first post though. It looks as if you tried to add very fine detail on a mesh that didn't have enough resolution to support it, so it turned out kind of noisy and blobby and not articulated too well, especially in the hair and forehead areas. What you can do (and I did it once and seemed to work pretty well) is to add fine detail on high resolution (twice the size of your normal map) greyscale bump texture using bump viewer material, and then use the ZMapper to bake the normal. It will let you create normal from high poly as well as the bump, so it would be just as if you sculpted all the details in, but would look better. I just find it easier to paint fine detail on a texture then to sculpt it on a mesh, as mesh needs millions of polies to be able to hold such fine detail as skin pores and hairs, and can become very tedious to manipulate.

And by the way, I really love your previous work that you have on your site, and your zombie cowboy, very nice and unique style, quite refreshing to see something like that. I hope you continue to work in your style, as it is full of awesomeness!
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the compliments and critiques.

yeah adding all the little details made some things kind of bumpy, but it looks a bit better in zbrush, and i'm tightening it up a bit too. fogman, i wish i knew about the bump texture , i'll give that a try next time.

onelung, the normal map is a 1024, and i'll probably make the diffuse the same size.

do many people use zmapper to make their normal maps? i tried it, but it did some weird stuff on his nose. its difficult getting 3dsmax 7 to deal with my exported high poly from zbrush, so i might try it again.
  • Sabby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good likeness! I still remember McShane from the much more family orientated show 'LoveJoy' where he played an antiques dealer who wore a lot of leather.

_618119_ian_mcshane300.jpg
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm just starting on his textures which are pretty rough right now. the hair, ears, and eyes especially suck. i'm using J.I. Styles' skin shader which is really cool, but i'm not sure what all these settings do grin.gif

do you guys often use a different shader for eyes? i wanna get a really bright and small highlight.

skinshader.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good. Besides the fact that the ear looks a bit detached, and a bit of warping on the nostril in the side view, its looking great.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since his hair is slicked full of Dapper Dan in the show, it makes his scalp show up more if the goo wasn't in his hair. His hair is also thinning out which lets us see more of his scalp. At the very least you should be able to see his scalp in the center of his part and more in the side burns. Also if you're going for the slick hair look it needs to be shinier and more combed clumps. The ref you have shown has these details cut out so I'll cut you some slack =P
    Al_Swearengen.jpg
    swearengen.jpg
  • J.I. Styles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    looking good smile.gif

in regards to the shader, the alpha of the specular map is used as a gloss map. So a bright white in the alpha should make a nice tight specular.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did some work on him over the thanksgiving break. i'm gonna say he's done unless someone can convince me to make any changes. what do you think?

1swearengen_front.jpg
    swearengen_side_back.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ears are really flat both in that it looks like its just normal mapped onto a plane, and that the shapes seems very perpendicular to his head and not very natural. This is really throwing off an otherwise very good model and texture.
  • J.I. Styles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    awesome! Great sculpt and texture job too - makes me proud to see such good use of the shader laugh.gif

a friend directed me back to this thread with this to say:
    "wow! someone actually figured out how to use all the shader controls... you better add more numbers next time" hehe smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I played with the renders some and if you drop the saturation on the red channel by 35 and the yellow by 50 it looks allot better/more human less living orange.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looks great! But you might want to push the irises inside the eyeballs just like on how classical scuptures. It will give a much more alive look, by placing the black spot of the eye at the correct place (which is slightly inside the eyeball, and not at its surface).

Great skin!
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, his ears are totally flat. i'll try adding some depth to them and make them stick out some more. hopefully it doesn't mess with the normal map too much.

pior, that old man on your site with eyes set up like that looks really cool. i might try that out if i get a chance. i wonder if any games these days are doing eyes like that?

thanks for the crits and comments. i'll probably also experiment with his skin color, but its tricky sometimes since it has the skinshader and depending on the lights, things can change a lot. BTW thanks to J.I. Styles for the skin shader, it makes a huge difference.