Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Redone my character

Davett29
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Davett29 polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone, I remodeled and textured my character. Tell me what you all think. C&C are welcome.

Malecharacter.jpg

Replies

• neilberard
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I think the texture looks nice, but the hands look really flat. The forearm has no muscle mass, where are the extensors and flexors? Do you have a reference, also can you send a perspective shot.
    -Neil
    www.neilberard.com
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    yea I agree with what neilberard said, also you have some excess loops in the middle of the torso and head. and it has a very stiff pose...even though it is suppose to be a rigid pose, it should not look stiff and forced, it should feel like a real person there for, give him that s curve in the back and give the arms some shape.

textures look good though you may want to close out those highlights in the face however and let your spec map do your highlights. also on the lines neil mentioned, send turn around of both your wire frame and textured, but do them on a perspective camera, it will look better and we will be able to view it better.
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not have a reference pic. Sorry for the dumb question but, what are extensors and flexors? Here are the perspective shot:

Malecharacter.jpg

Malecharacterhand.jpg
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    From Wikipedia:
    A flexor muscle is a skeletal muscle whose contraction bends a joint, decreasing the angle between components of a limb, such as bending the knee or elbow. This action is known as flexion.

The type of muscle that has the opposite effect is the extensor muscle, which opens a joint, increasing the angle between limb components.

The hand looks good from the top, but from sides it still looks very flat, and it seems to me that you used a reference only in top view. You need to look at the hand from all sides and make sure that geometry defines underlaying bone and muscle structure as accurately as you can manage with limited polycount. Here's the image that will illustrate it better (and also use your own hands for reference!):

hand.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry, I should have been more clear, there are 3 major groups of muscles along the fore arm that span the ulna (your elbow) and the radious(that other bone that twists around the unla). Extensor Carpi Ulnaris, Flexor Carpi Unaris and Brachioradalis. The thing I noticed about the arms is a lack of this anatomy, they appear to be a long cone like shape with out any muscle curvature.

Some really good books to check out are Human Anatomy for Artist, by Elliot Goldfinger and Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth. (this one is like $15 off amazon and worth every penny)
    Actually is there an anatomy thread by any chance, it would be really cool to open a discussion.

-Neil

www.neilberard.com ecorche_contemp.chart.lg.jpg
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I am going to fix it asap. My girlfriend told me his head looks really big. Do you yall think so?
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Doesn't look like anyone else mentioned it, but I'd say, texture-wise, you could losen up the clothing. Find some references perhaps. I assume the jeans are kind of baggy, and the t-shirt being medium, they would need further creasing. As of now they seem tight and ironed.. As if they'd been scanned. smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. I am going to fix it asap. My girlfriend told me his head looks really big. Do you yall think so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the shoulders look a bit narrow in the front view, which make the head look big. In the ised view the skull should extend further back.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry for popping in again - I had a closer look at your texture and noticed some things that I think I should point out to you.

First of all, you have the same cloth folds in both parts of the pants, as well as the shirt, as if you just copied front side to the back, and in the pants there is just a slight modification at the top to make distinction between the back and front. The point of unwrapping the front and back (or left and right) parts separately and using additional texture space for it is to have ability to add unique detail. The cloth never folds symmetrically and you don't see exact same folds happening twice on any part of garment. And since you have this additional texture space to show this, please use it for that purpose and don't copy the texture from one part to the other. If you were to do that, then you better make your UVs overlap and reuse the texture space by different parts of the model.

In addition, the texture in the arm looks like repeated strip of skin texture and at a closer look, I can see a pattern repeat four times. That is not good either. If you are sampling texture from a photo (and to me it seems like that is what you did), try to get skin texture from all around the arm. Don't just copy and paste one sample to cover the whole arm. If you can't find texture for the entire arm, then at least modify the sample you have to reflect the look of the skin in the different parts of the arm. And if you look at your own arms, you will see that the skin is not the same all the way around, but has variations in color, hair placement, veins showing through and so on. Same holds true for any other parts though. Finally, it seems like you did the same copy and horizontal flip to texture on the sides of the head, while you could have unwrapped the head in 3/4 fashion and have the sides of the head overlap, while the front of the face has unique texture for both sides. Also, do you have the texture for top of the hand also applied to the palm? I don't see the texture for the palm anywhere.

Sorry again for being grumpy about this, but I hope it will help you to make your textures better and much more efficient if you pay some attention to the things I mentioned.
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great advice fogmann, I didn't texture the palm yet. I need to get the reference pics for that one. Keep it coming. It helps me alot. Thanks.