Home General Discussion

The Departed - Film of the year?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
9 out of 10. The Departed is very possibly the best film of 2006.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Was gonna go see that tonight or maybe later in the week - it gets an average of 92% on RottenTomatoes.com - a very good sign (8.3/10 average rating).

Oddly enough, The Queen gets a 98% rating (also averages 8.3/10) with over 50 reviews. The trailers for that kinda puzzled me, but it could be interesting, and seems to be very well done.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe it's a good movie, but I don't think I'll watch it for a while. I've seen Infernal Affairs (on which this one is based) but didn't bother with the sequels, and it was a nice movie. Now I do love Scorsese and all his movies with De Niro, but for heaven's sake, why put DiCrapio and Matt Damon in there? I can't stand either of them frown.gif I know that I'll be thinking how the hell could those two replace Tony Leung and Andy Lau, shaking my head in disbelief. Although Jack Nicholson is usually awesome. I don't have much trust in American adaptations of Asian movies just yet.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Going to see it in the next hour, looks great. I saw the whole IF trilogy (maybe only half of the last one) and thought it was rather cornball much of the time but had a nice premise. Looking forward to see Scorsese's adaptation.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course Jack steals every shot he is in, but DiCaprio and Damon are giving him a run for his money as far as acting goes.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I think I'll wait for a dvd release of this one, or if someone asks me to go. I love Scorsese's movies, but this one just isn't giving me the want to see it in theatres.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That was easily the best movie i've seen in a year or 2. Leo kicked ass. Marky Mark was the biggest badass ever.

Also, seeing the 300 trailer on the big screen was fuckin AMAZING. cant wait
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, definitly one of the most enjoyable movies for me in the last few years. All 4 of the major players were damn awesome - and the blond psychiatrist is easy to look at as well.

aesir, seeing 300 on the big screen was great.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this yesteday, FUCKING FANTASTIC FILM. Everyone should go see it now.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed Infernal Affairs, so I'm a little reluctant to spend my hard earned money on the heinously expensive cinema tickets here given the general quality of US remakes of Foreign Cinema (Ringu, Ju-on and Abre Los Ojos being prime examples). Is anyone able to give a comparisson between the original and remake?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i saw it last night and left feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Definitely a feel-good feast of fun for all the family
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really enjoyed Infernal Affairs, so I'm a little reluctant to spend my hard earned money on the heinously expensive cinema tickets here given the general quality of US remakes of Foreign Cinema (Ringu, Ju-on and Abre Los Ojos being prime examples). Is anyone able to give a comparisson between the original and remake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you and Fogmann in this one. I also saw Infernal Affairs a long time ago, so i'm a bit reluctant about going to see a remake. I mean. come'on! why every asian movie has to be remade? Same thing with the ring and lots others. anyway we'll see. By the way.. Abre Los Ojos is an awesome movie!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed it is. Vanilla Sky is not.
  • jam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    Good movie. Felt a little long at times. Di-crappio acted great (and stoled the show in my opinion)....and yea, Marky Mark was insane...ohh, and Joker was outstanding. The ending I thought was a bit over the top...and a few cut scenes I felt were off.

***SPOILER ALERT***
    The "don't open until two weeks" yellow envelope that ended up in the psycho's drawer... what was all that about? Did I miss something? or did the director forget to get back to it or leave it out on purpose to keep people like me wondering "what was in that yellow envelope?" smile.gif
    ***END SPOILER ALERT***

Overall Recommended,
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah im sold, going soon as
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ... cutscenes?
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice film, loved it. The 300 trailer looked awesome, Gladiator + Troy + Sin City = 300, pwnage on screen.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

***SPOILER ALERT***
    The "don't open until two weeks" yellow envelope that ended up in the psycho's drawer... what was all that about? Did I miss something? or did the director forget to get back to it or leave it out on purpose to keep people like me wondering "what was in that yellow envelope?" smile.gif
    ***END SPOILER ALERT***

Overall Recommended,

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I gathered the info inside was to be given to Mark Walberg's character - and thats how he knew to kill Mat Damon at the end.**

**It's a thread about the movie.
  • jam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Adam...since I noticed the doc place it in the drawer, I figured it was something else, but I guess your explanation makes sense.

by cut scenes, I meant to say the cuts between camera shots....like when Jack shows what he drew on the napkin at the diner...look down at your popcorn, and you miss it.. smile.gif There were a few shots that cut abruptly I though....maybe on purpose (?), who knows.

Still a good movie.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    Best movie out in the past 10 years,

If it was done with a regular director, the ending would have seemed unrealistic and gratuitous, and the steps leading up to it would have seemed cheesy and unnecessarily complex. But it was done so well and believable it made such extreme drama so powerful.

It better win best picture, what else could contend with it?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Damn it, DO NOT overhype this for me. I am a ruthless critic, and am planning on seeing this film soon. But every time I hear the old "Best movie out in the past 10 years." or similar quote, my expectations just get set FAR too high.

Still, I hope it's as good as you all are saying.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    That movie was absolutely awesome. It was good in every way I could think of, and everyone should see it. Also, to agree with eveyone else, seeing the new 300 trailer just about made me literally drool.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Damn it, DO NOT overhype this for me. I am a ruthless critic, and am planning on seeing this film soon. But every time I hear the old "Best movie out in the past 10 years." or similar quote, my expectations just get set FAR too high.

Still, I hope it's as good as you all are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are really looking forward to a movie you really shouldn't read a lot of reviews, or peoples comments on it. What always bugs me about trailers some times is that they give too much away, I always like to go into a movie knowing little
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    This movie is seven bucks well spent imo. I'm just in awe of the talent that was shown in every aspect of that movie
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    i watched it this weekend. bitchin movie. the acting was superb on all levels. i have no qualms with this movie. i'm glad i didn't miss it in the theatre like the last scorscesse movie. had to watch gangs on dvd.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I just got back from it.
    I enjoyed it a lot - great acting in general (Jack Nicholson was superb), and I liked the plot. START SPOILERS! I have to agree with Jam though, I didn't know what happened to that yellow envelope the woman ended up with, or what it was even for. It just seemed like a random thing which ended up with no significance to me. Same with the pregnancy thing.END SPOILERS!

It did feel over-long, though - nicely paced but still got boring here and there. I don't think I'd give it the "film of the year" tag, though - so far I'd have to hand that to Children of Men, which I enjoyed much more on pretty much every level.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <SPOILER>
    DiCaprio said 'Open this if...'. She opened it. It said 'Tell Walhberg your bloke is scum'. She did. He went mental
    </SPOILER>
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, I just got back from it.
    I enjoyed it a lot - great acting in general (Jack Nicholson was superb), and I liked the plot. START SPOILERS! I have to agree with Jam though, I didn't know what happened to that yellow envelope the woman ended up with, or what it was even for. It just seemed like a random thing which ended up with no significance to me. Same with the pregnancy thing.END SPOILERS!

It did feel over-long, though - nicely paced but still got boring here and there. I don't think I'd give it the "film of the year" tag, though - so far I'd have to hand that to Children of Men, which I enjoyed much more on pretty much every level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I didn't know Children of Men was out already. I really want to see that movie. That's Clive Owen and Rene Russo or something isn't it?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    <SPOILER>
    DiCaprio said 'Open this if...'. She opened it. It said 'Tell Walhberg your bloke is scum'. She did. He went mental
    </SPOILER>

[/ QUOTE ]

BIG SPOILERS! Rick, but when did she ever open it? I just saw her go to the funeral, then he comes home and gets shot. No scene of her reading it or telling the guy or anything... just seems very disjointed to me, could have been handled much better. Unless I fell asleep for 2 minutes for that precise scene or something.

AdamBrome: Yeah, it's a British movie so it probably came out here before the USA, not sure though. It's been out for a few weeks - Clive Owen and Julianne Moore. Very good, I rate it higher than The Departed IMHO.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like how they didn't show her open the envelope, you just have to make an assumption. Just like the baby being dicaprio's, and just like that one gang member being an undercover cop or not
  • chathog159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the departed looks stupid; sorry.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The interview I read with Nicholson doesn't fill me with hope for this movie's quality.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Martin Scorsese is one of my fav directors, but, this certainly isn't one fo my favorite films. This year has been dry for cinema so...maybe he'll finnally pick up Best Director?

*Spolier*
    The only 'scorsese style' grit of the movie was when those three guys were murdered in front of the elevator. I didn't get the usual uncomfortable drama that I expect from this guy.

Oh well...still a decent film. DVD though.

-R
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    the departed looks stupid; sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't argue with logic like that. Things and people that 'look' stupid more than probably are.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

niger2903s.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

answers on a postcard to the usual address ...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. Great performances by all, and suprisingly, I thought Leo stole the show.

My only complaint was that Jack gets a bit too evil in some scenes, almost non-sensibly so. Did we really need to see him eat a fly?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Di-crappio acted great (and stoled the show in my opinion)....

[/ QUOTE ]

And Nitzmoff wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
    and suprisingly, I thought Leo stole the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

DiCaprio is the top-billed actor in this film, so I don't know that he can steal his own show. Seeing it Saturday myself...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

DiCaprio is the top-billed actor in this film, so I don't know that he can steal his own show. Seeing it Saturday myself...

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have had top billing, but this was far and away an ensemble cast movie. Plus, who thinks top billing means anything when Jack Nicholson is in the picture?

My comment though was largly due to the fact that i have a hard time 'believing' DiCaprio is anyone but himself in all his movies. Folks have the same problems with Tom Cruise as well.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Err... okay.

On the topic of DiCaprio, you ever see What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    If I watch it, and its not as good as infernal affairs I'm going to give you a bad review on 360 live ok Rick ? smile.gif

r.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, but I'll KYCO at any game wink.gif
  • sickasick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have to say the remade is rather shallow compared to the original Internal Affairs. much worse actually, a ruin of the fantastic story. and the logic in The Departed is unbelievably RIDICULOUS.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it in the theatre, and jizzed my pants when I saw the trailer for 300, I rubbed it in my Dad's face that it was based off the comic (or graphic novel) he always was like "stop wasting your time readin them darn comic books", even he thought it looked really cool.
    **Spoiler Alert**
    I thought the movie started to get pretty ridiculous towards the end with all the head shots. The whole audience was stupified when Leo got head shotted, the guy sitting next to me and was like "what the shit!?" I thought it was more of a comedy than a drama.
    Also, I was confused about the meaning of the Golden Dome, and my brother explained to me that it was the dome of a famous Church in Boston, and this movie was being made during the Priests-touching-boys Scandal, to show that there were rats in the church, just like there are rats in the police. It was entertaining, but I am uncertain this is the movie of the year.
    PS~ I really liked Mark Wahlbergs haircut, and the speach given at the driving range about marriage, I lol'd.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Saw it this last Saturday, loved it, I wouldn't say the story was to amazing but the actors and the characters they played made it pretty damn awesome.

Anyone know where I can pick up that Internal Affairs movie it's based off of? I'm curious since everyone says it's better...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    You know it's funny. Because everyone I know who says Internal Affairs is better, are the sort of people who are huge Asian film fans, and would stand up for Asian cinema regardless of anything.

I still haven't seen this movie, and at this point, It seems like I'll be seeing it on DVD.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    jizzed my pants when I saw the trailer for 300, I rubbed it in my Dad's face

[/ QUOTE ]

!!!

Sorry, had to.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In_F_ernal Affairs, not In_T_ernal Affairs.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great film, one of the best of the year easily. Also, and its not often I say this, its an american remake thats better than the original, certainly for westerner's if not all.

What really stands out is the dialogue, very entertaining, I would pay to see it twice.

Roll on Borat and Pan's labyrinth, I love the fall season.

r.