Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kitchen...+ website?

kitchen.jpg

Recently, I've been seeing quite a few portfolio websites posted from people I just graduated with.
I just thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself and follow suite. Check out my website
at www.artisteaffinity.com. Crits and comments are welcome, cheers!

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Hey, checked out the web demo reel, some really nice work in there. There are a few timing issues though, some scenes tend to drag on while other zoom by. Specifically, the samurai rotation is pretty fast and doesn't allow the eye to really focus on the model. Some of the scenes drag on between render/untextured GI/flat-wireframe. The quality of the work is great! I would suggest placing your best work first. The unreal level was the least appealing piece in my mind. Wether the rain is stock or not, I do not know. Regardless, it was practically white, and hardly believable; whereas the rest of the scene fairly nice. I also noticed rain inside the house. It sounds like a little thing, but it was actually quite distracting and detracted from the actual design.

The actualy website... I will let someone else critique, though I will say that I didn't bother to spend much time on it, and that is a bad sign. There are several pages to get through to actually look at your art. I like your work, but even at that I didn't bother to browse your site for more than a few seconds; and neither will a potential employer.

So get your BEST stuff out at the forefront, imagine that you have to pitch yourself in under 30 seconds. Convince the employer of your best work, and ask yourself "*why* is this my best work?" Then ask yourself, without verbal explanation, does my work answer that question on it's own? For example, this kitchen scene is a good piece because it has great contrast and composition. What work do you consider your best? and be sure to know "technically" why. This is advice that my previous Manager/Lead Artist gave me to help filter out which work to present, and I found it very helpful. I hope the same for you.

Best of luck!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    saw many good work on your site.

agree with eric." get the BEST stuff out at the forefront"

laugh.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    one thing I see from the start is the banner. I think you ought to swap the size and placement of "online portfolio" and your name, also put your name in the page title, rather than "online portfolio". Figure if you happen to be looking at a dozen online portfolios today you can tell from the title who's is whos.

Also you might want to remove the smooth criminal vid. Its rather stiff, compared to the optimus walk.
  • Infernas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback guys, I appreciate it. I hadn't realized how clunky the navigation was. I'll try and get all of the art stuff consolidated into one or two pages later tonight. Getting my name in the title bar sounds good too, I'll do that. I kind of feel bad about taking the little dance animation down though. A friend of mine wanted to see it and I always thought it was kind of funny. I did that about a year and a half ago and now I almost feel compelled to redo it so no one can complain. grin.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Nice site and some great work in there, but I'd agree with most of the previously mentioned stuff. In addition, one thing that kind of puzzled me was the way you organized your galleries. Basically, where a visitor should click to see more of your work, it says Archive. While I think it might be nice to have blog-gallery that lets viewer know when each work is completed and posted, it can also tempt the viewr to not look in the archive (I know I almost skipped it) as it might refer to your old stuff that you just have there archived. If you just change the title of that box to something like "More", I think it would work better.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    some real nice stuff but i think you broke up your gallerys a bit too much, you should also make artwork your homepage so people see the work right away