Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jump-pack trooper

MartinKDahl
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys, here's a model ive been working on the past weeks. Thought i'd post it before it gets rigged and posed.

Appreciate all feedback!

renderfinal3hr2.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    he looks quite young to be a trooper, is there a backstory? love the design and chunky feel though!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    I see more "she" - so ,it's seams to me too heavy for her...all of this.
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really good Nelis, no critique so far smile.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The gender isn't clear, and the clothlike elements have really vague wrinkling. Metal is looking good, though.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good so far. i'd recommend strengthening those edges on the hoodie tho. it's blending too much into his skin right now. also, i think the back back/booster thing is too big. it detracts from the character and really breaks sillohuette a little too much for my tastes. i think it can still work tho as long as you use muted colors for it, or else they'll draw too much attention if it's all glossy and spec'd out. i'm just speculating tho, so ignore me! i agree with the wrinkles as well on the clothing. give 'em a bit more depth and some more flowiness to them. right now they look like they're just there just to be there. dunno if you see what i mean? anyways, keep it up. it's lookin nice =) you gonna normal map this sucker?
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    How does the rocket fire without ripping the trooper's head off? Something that massive needs a serious body harness and corresponding counterbalance on the trooper's front side.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    haha, wow this is awsome...definatly my favorite type of character right here...not to serious, just light hearted fun...I do agree with some of the things said here. the wrinkles arnt really working. I Would look up early scuba suits and see how the wrinkles flow with them and exagerate a bit because it is a exagerated character. Also with the jet pack, as much as I love how big it is...it is a little hard to look at and go, HOW the FuCk is that not gonna rip is head off like paul said haha. what I would do that would probably add some believabilty to it without taking away from the exageration of it is to add a waist harness that is connected to rocket...Even Scuba tanks are connected to a vest (Boyancy control Vest) to be exact that have both waist and chest straps...and when I see this character I See a mixture of early scuba type gear and retro sci fi gear.

again though it really kicks ass, I Cant wait to see it finished.

and I dunno, I kind of like the face, I definatly see it as a little boy just because of how the nose is.

haha, awsome!
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. Thanks for the replies!

Suprore: He is supposed to be male, cloth will be fixed.

Rooster: Yeah i know he is pretty young and i dont really have any backstory on him, its sort of that old "young boy stumbles onto russian hightech weaponry, learns about goverment conspiracy. fights goverment" kind of tale.

Character & Jaquays: Yeah i know the engine is pretty overpowering, ill reduce it in size after the posing is done. About the harnesses, i had'nt really thought much about the general dynamics of the engine pulling him. However he does have straps holding the engine to him on the frontside. But i see your point and i will add straps on the back after rigging/posing. The counter balance would be Tesla coil cannon! hehe.

dkorch: Glad you like it! You're right about the style being intentionally over the top. It was meant to be a ridiculous piece to begin with.

About the lack of definition in the clothing, i'm going to send it to mudbox so ill give all the clothing some more detail.

Thanks again!
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    awesome. can't wait for the updates =)
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    hey , nice character .his equipment is very cccp style ,haha.. love it.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the character posed and ready for mudbox, going to add alot of folds to the clothing.

renderfinal3hr2.jpg