Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Commando

Rota626
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Rota626 polycounter lvl 17
Hi! I'm in the finish with this guy, please tell me what U think. Weapon and rig coming soon!
war_front.jpg
war_wire.jpg

256*256 head :
war_headcolor.jpg
512*512 body :
war_bodycolor.jpg

Rota

Replies

• cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    The texture is looking really nice. I especially like the treatment of the jacket pockets. The model looks pretty good too, but one thing that really stands out to me is the structure of the hands...you are missing a joint in each of the fingers! also, the area of the palm where the thumb joins the rest of the hand is wrong. The thumb doesn't really come out the side of the hand in the way you've modelled it. You should definitely look at some reference images of hands and rework yours, because they really stand out as wrong in an otherwise nice looking model. Otherwise, good work on this piece! smile.gif
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    I think your texture is awsome man, maybe work on the shadows a bit more to make the texture pop a little bit more. also the hair texture on the arms is really weird.

also another thing with the texture is the way to the biceps just stop abruptly and dont really flow like muscles do. it looks like the biceps were just placed on the arm in yours.

the model needs some work I think though. it looks ok, but a few things that stand out are like cyi said, the hands are really off. the next thing is the pant legs really mess with me. they are kind of like raver pants on a camando. it just doesnt work for me. and the knee loops in the legs are to high...your thigh is longer then your calf. but this could be happening because it looks like his pants are hiked up pretty far. im just getting a kind of squashed feel to this character.

overall though it looks good though, just a few things that need to be tweaked and some more polishing and you will have a great piece.
  • Rota626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, and I completely agree. Fixes coming, altough I really don't have any idea about the leg pants.... .

Rota
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It'd be nice to see a textured view from a perspective viewport rather than an orthographic view.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great from the waist up, the texture is top notch all the way around! The legs however very formless. Make the mesh pinch in the knees to give his thighs and calves some shape. It looks like his pants are full of air, like one of these guys. Other than that the model is looking really really good, great job on the texture, espically the face, wow!

Edit: Opps I forgot to mention that you might not want to model characters in the T-Pose since you will get some bad stretching in the shoulders when you bring the arms down. Personally I choose to model them at a 45 degree angle instead of 90. Since 45 degrees is much closer to the position the arms/shoulders will naturally be in once it is animated.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    also on the terms of what vig said about shaping the pants around the knees to give more form...I would also maybe think about tucking the pants into the boots...http://www.fliptophead.com/archives/images/swat-team-posing.jpg

it would give alot more form and interest to the legs as well to maybe add a few loops around the gun straps to give that feeling that the straps are pinching the cloth in the pants.

again though man...it looks awsome, great job.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    looks great man...Id change the color of the pants to something else, and also Add some more darks to the pant region, some hard edges and better creases.
  • Rota626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the comments, I've changed a few thing, but it still needs some lovin'. Anyway here's a quick test with shitty rig and weighting, and with a very wip M4 carbine. Plz tell me what U think.
    Click
    Rota
  • Rota626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I call him Finished.
    war.jpg

Rota