Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Neji Hyuga

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Asherr polycounter lvl 18
been on a Naruto kick the last couple weeks. so i started modelling the character of Neji for fun about a week ago but it's been more trouble than not.

neji_wires.jpg
smooth shaded
reference

not the only reference i used (grabbed a bunch of images from the manga into Photoshop) but these were the clearest for the face and general proportions.

seems like i've had way too much trouble trying to get the look right. the head seems too big, not sure about the hands and legs, or proportions. problems all around in other words... maybe i've just been staring at it too long. confused.gif

Replies

• gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cool I've been meaning to model Kakashi for ages. With toon stuff I generally find it help to assign basic colours to the mesh as I'm modelling. Personal preference, just helps when it comes to comparing it to images etc...

I think his jacket isnt puffy enough around his torso too btw.

look forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    definately recognisable man, looks a little rigid at the mo- it might be worth soft-select dragging a bit of posture into him. even a bind pose can have a bit of flex in it. like it though smile.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies.

gavku: actually i do assign basic colors to my models as i work. it's just i made everything a solid color for these images because i thought it would help show the poly usages. smile.gif

i'll see if i can puff up the jacket a bit and get him a little more relaxed.

*edit
    neji_color.jpg
    colored poly shot. haven't done anything to it yet except scale the feet up slightly.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    his eyes are waaay too small. This is ANIME you fool!

http://images.animanga.nu/fanart/3034/neji.jpg
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    403 Forbidden on that image aesir.
    i did finally remember about animegalleries.net and found plenty of useful references there. poly102.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neji_update.jpg
    neji_update2.jpg

updates using new reference material from animegalleries.net.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well i don't know much about anime and stuff so my critics might make me look stupid laugh.gif but i'll say it anyway.

I think the model is too flat and linear. Spinal column has 4 curvatures that are lacking on your model. The same critic goes to the hands, hands bones form an arch, not a flat hand. Your big finger makes almost 90º degrees from the hand axis.

I think even if your model reference is not that realistic this should be basic rules for humanoid characters, but as i said, i know nothing about anime :\
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    You're using a lot of straight lines, and the model isn't benefitting from that. The tops of the shoes(like things?) are completely flat, same as the headband. Some extra curves could help the model a lot.

That said, the likeness is definately there and it looks like a good start : )
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    IMO it's a good start.i'm terrible witn photoshop but i tried to make your model look more like neji.
    neji2copywk9.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Now you need to puch out his brow
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some minor edits. think i'm finished with the modelling.

body_wires.jpg
    body_nowire.jpg
    face_wires.jpg
    face_nowires.jpg

vitor: yes the spine does have curves but those curves don't neccesarily show when someone is wearing a puffy coat. i'm not sure what you mean by the bones of the hand forming an arch.

movento: honestly i really don't know what your trying to do with that paintover.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe you can rotate his fingers a bit in , too give him some more natural look.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should soften the sloping of the nose on both sides. Right now the geometry makes sharp lines on the sides of the nose, and in anime you hardly ever can see anything but the tip of the nose in front view. Just pull the verts at the base of the nose outwards a bit, like so:
    asherrpaintover.jpg