Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vampire footsoldier

cyi
cyi
polygon
Offline / Send Message
cyi polygon
Almost done with this guy...viewport is a little dark...I need to render it out for the final presentation so you can see the dark cloth bits better. 3549 tris, 1x1024 and 1x512 diffuse only. Any comments/crit is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!
drac04-1.jpgdrac05-1.jpg

drac06-1.jpg

Replies

• PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    liking that laugh.gif
    text overall aint too bad, could do with quite a bit of sharpening around the metal area's and the cloth.
    has a nice quality about him.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm to me it looks like the face is too big...i dunno that's the first impression i got. Agree, sharper highlights on metal would be nice. Pretty cool work.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    cuban_pete: I think you are right...I am going to play around with the unsharp mask in photoshop and touch up some areas on the metal and cloth. Thanks for the advice.

psyk0: I never noticed it, but I think you may be right about the size of the face. I'm going to try scaling it down a little when I get home this evening. Good call!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    cyi, is it possible to see your flats on this? It just seems like the model looks like it should be alot lower in poly count (meaning you might have alot of polys that aren't helping define your shape) and the textures seem like alot for what it's showing. I think you can get rid of alot of poly density around the eyes, as you are able to define the eye easily with texture, and use those polys to help round out the character if you have a poly budget. Hope that helps some.

Spark
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thats so Legacy of Kain, it aint even funny, i love it >;E

make the head a little smaller though, and maybe add some purple hues to the skintone in the shaded parts.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    spark: I will post up the flats tonight. I should probably reduce the amount of polys in the face and distribute them elsewhere, but I am losing steam on this model and want to get started on something new. I agree that the textures arent nearly as crisp as they should be...I'm going to give them a final pass before I call this thing done.

almighty gir: Thanks smile.gif I'm going to shrink down the head and good idea about skintones...I will keep that in mind when I'm finishing up the texture.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty good overall, but I'm not seeing anything justifying that amount of texture space.

His hands are way denser than the rest of him, looks like each knuckle has two full loops.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    the color and art style reminds me of soul reaver.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either that, or a quake 2 ppm, largely due to the seemingly paletted colours, and especially the metally bits on him.
    If you could lift it just a bit beyond that by actually using the texturespace you're given, and add some shadows where you'd expect them, like under the arms, where the head goes into the collar, and maybe go easy on the shadows under his 'belt', as well as on the orange thing on his belt
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions! Sectaurs: Thanks for the crit...I am going to continue to refine the texture until it doesn't look so bad.
    Icewolve: Those games were great, maybe I am subconsciously channelling them, although hopefully I'll get this model to look a little more refined than those.
    MightyPea: I see what you mean...I'm going to do my best with improving the texture/palette and will definitely take your advice about the shadows smile.gif
    I understand now that the texture needs major refinement. Since this model is basically just a learning tool (my first attempt at a game model) I'm going to see how much I can improve on the texture, but I'm only giving myself another day or two since I need to start on my redesigned streetfighter model if I'm going to make the deadline smile.gif I started fixing up the texture and have gotten this far...I'm gonna try to add a little bit of design to the armor where it's lacking and tighten everything up. Please let me know if I'm going overboard with the contrast. I also reduced the poly count to just under 3300 tris. Here's a quick screen grab of my progress. Spark, I'm also including the flats of the texture as is. Again, any crit/advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    drac29.jpg
    bodytexture.jpgheadtexture.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Definately a huge improvement on the textures!
    Great stuff.

-caseyjones
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    OK, I found some time in between work on my Street Fighter Redesign entry and my day job to finish this up. Thanks for looking. Comments are very welcome smile.gif
    [img]http:///www.mburbank.com/comp03.jpg[/img]