Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hi, I'm new

Like it says, I'm new and trying to model a palm tree for a HL2 mod.... except I need some help! Here's the model as I have it in XSI mod tool:

newbitmapimage6br7.png

I'm having trouble with the bones mainly, as you can see in the next picture:

newbitmapimage7vt8.png

Why is it on the ground? I know why the checkers are there, but in XSI it's standing up! I really don't know what I'm doing. smirk.gif

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hi! It's good that you chose XSI. We definitely need more XSI people here smile.gif
    Although I'm no expert I know one thing which may cause this. If you draw the bones on the ground and then rotated them, you may try re-drawing your chain in the standing position.
    And this may also be the classical y-up/z-up problem but I think it should not as Valve used XSI for HL2 as far as I know, so they should have handled it with their exporters already.
  • $t0p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thats the thing... I don't know what I did! I drew the bones, and I used to use milkshape so I was used to selecting the vertices then clicking assign, except there is no button like that. In other words, I dunno how to attach bones. Any really basic tutorial for xsi would help! I couldn't find one...
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about a tutorial but that attaching process is called "enveloping" in XSI. It is in the Deform part of the Animate Toolbar(press "2" from the keyboard to get the animation toolbar). If you have the help files for XSI, there should be some nice info there about assigning envelopes to deformers(bones).
  • $t0p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sry, I was being an ignorant moron before, and I did get it working. It just took awhile to figure out the whole thing... anyway, Thanks for your help! And the model will be done soon, since this is the pimping page. Even if it isn't much to show because it sucks, but I'm trying my best, and thanks for helping me! smile.gif