Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next Gen Creature - Dusk Hunter

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vorge polycounter lvl 18
Hey all. Just finished my first Next Gen character. The concept was totally deviated from, but here is what I did. I'm very happy with how it turned out, comments and crits (especially) are very welcomed for my next mesh smile.gif

Concept:
duskhunter_concept.jpg

ZedBrushing:
duskrender.jpg

Normal Bake on wires:
dusk_wip004.jpg

Finished:
duskhuntermini.gif

Presentation:
duskhunterpresent.jpg

Thanks laugh.gif

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Nice creature, Patrick=) i like it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the concept... pity you strayed so far from it.

looks good, though
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think it would have benefitted from having all those cracks put on with the normalmap, because at the moment the normal/speecular maps dont compliment the fact that he should have a lot of raised plates.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because it strays from the concept it reminds me a lot of a "felhunter" from WoW.

I really like the big powerful paws and legs in the concept.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice man. already told you what i thought in chat. keep it up =)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The overall model has lost a lot of shape and character from the concept.
    The concept makes the creature look mean and chunky with the jutting bone structure. Not that yours doesn't look mean, but its just missing that chunk that would have made the model really pop.
    Overall, it looks great as a model, just a shame you deviated a fair bit from the concept.

-caseyjones
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice, but i dont know why people keep calling these models "next gen", after all they have been current gen for some years now..
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Its a great game character to be sure, but I do agree with the others who think if you had stuck closer to the concept your model and texture would've been stronger. The concept makes it look more formidable, a larger front with wider shoulders and bigger muscles, and a longer neck. Also with the texture the bone parts jutting out are not made a different color, even the claws blend almost seamlessly with the rest of the body. Otherwise an awesome creature, and very well done.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    The original idea was for a monster or demon style character. So I designed it to be a much stronger, more vicious style of creature. I found out later it should be more "alien" in style, and I didn't reconcept the creature I just went in and changed it while I was modeling.

It went from an attacking monster to a more nocturnal scavenger style monster, so I wanted to make it more dark and subtle, like it would blend in with an alien terrain much similar to it's skintone and all that.

So yea, I do wish I had stuck with the original concept but hey... I got confused with what was needed, and that monster didn't scream "alien" to me. So I went into Zbrush with the idea to make it an alien. Whoops as far as not paying attention goes.

-V
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, and I call it next gen because thats the category it gets lumped into. Technology has been around for a while sure, but its only been in the last year or so that it's actually been put into games. It is "current gen" but it seems that if it has normal maps, it's "next gen". I honestly don't care about the correct nomenclature tongue.gif.

This is a "next gen" RTS character. Whatever tongue.gif. Im glad people like it, is all that matters to me.

-V