Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

anatomy experiment

hello polycount,

i have been lurking around here for a few weeks and what i've seen here and read inspired me to try my hand at some character modelling. a user posted here saying that first you must know the rules of anatomy before you can bend them, which is exactly my plan for this model, i hope to get the basics right first before i can unleash some creativity on the geometry and skin.

this is the first character model i attempt in professional software, the only experience i have with a character was in a more primitive editor.

here is what i got so far, around 1600 polygons:
303br7a.jpg
head detail, side perspective
head detail (2)
smooth render

i'm hoping to get some feedback to correct any errors in anatomy or proportions. i'm not so satisfied with the face, which i thought was the hardest part to do so far. any criticsim or pointers are greatly appreciated!

thanks,
rotor

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Have a look at how sholers work - shoulder are a much bigger part of the body than many people think, and are not simply where the arm joins the torso.

The pectoral muscles, lats and traps are important in the forming of the shoulder mass, not just the deltoids.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Hands need to be bigger, a hand i almost the size of a face.
  • rotor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the pointers rick and tremulant!

i changed the shoulders, i think this helped a great deal. i'm still trying to find some reference images for the back of the shoulders in this kind of posture because i'm not exactly sure of the shapes there.

i also reconstructed some of the face, i think it looks a little better now, but there is are a few problems with the cheekbones and the forehead, and most of the top of the head that i need to find some better reference for. i noticed the head was about 75% of the size that i figured it should be, i changed this and i think it also helped a great deal already. i'll try and overlay a 2D image on the face tomorrow and see where it went wrong.

here is some of the progress.
    4463rl4.jpg
    344pct1.jpg

i think the hands are about the proper scale now, but i am not satisfied with the current shape, so i will have a look at those again tomorrow.

Per128, thanks for pointing that out, i will have a look at that tomorrow while looking for more reference images.

i hope i'm taking this in the right direction, pointers and critique are more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    rotor.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    move the eyes down, and the mouth up.

and i think per was joking.