Home General Discussion

Seattle Meetup (flaagans visit) (VC input)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Ok, so no more beating around the bush. Would Saturday the 7th meeting be best? I know you VC guys are looking at the 14th.

I mentioned to Flaagan, it might be easier to incorporate his coming into the weekly conceptart.org local weekly sketch group. Its always hell to get local polycounters to be social versus conceptors (unless there is free beer wink.gif ).

Also, to be frank since the east side is so lacking anything other than a few yuppie generic places that don't stay open late. Capital Hill or Belltown place might be the best to at least let flaagan get some local flair.

Thoughts or otherwise? Headcount? Or maybe a discussion of a different date to allow the most of us to attend.

Replies

• BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    I was under the impression that "industry night" in seattle was on thursdays, perhaps it might be more appropriate to meet on the 12th? i'm not sure of his schedule so this might be impossible.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta impress, folks, cause seattle's become a tempting place for me to look for work. smile.gif

I should be around the seattle area... from around the 4/5 until the 8th... roughly tongue.gif

How early I arrive depends on whether there's actually anything for me to stop for in Oregon.. how late I stay.. dunno.. tongue.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bios its every months third thursday (19th) I thought?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Well... like I said in other posts, I'd be up for coming for the non-drinking portions, since I am not of age.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    please make flaaag soo drunk the hospital think hes dead.. please.. pretty pretty please.. hahah
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    oxy...yer prolly correct on the date, i forgot it wasn't once a week. tongue.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner, I think your safe as long as we dont go to a "bar bar".
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Capitol Hill or Belltown? What a parking nightmare. The East Side is perfectly fine, (silly oXY) usually on Fridays some of my coworkers goto Danny's pub in Kirkland. Otherwise Magnolia has this Irish Pub/Eatery that's open until 2am (a relaxed atmosphere, unless you guys like a place that you need to yell in) that Pfhorrunner should be able to get into just fine. I have a friend who knows Capitol Hill and we've been to some places in Fremont as well. Hell if I tidy up my place I can have you guys over (I live within a 5 minute walk of the pub), nice apartment with a great view, maybe get some burgers and dogs roasting on the BBQ. My preferable day is Friday the 6th, Saturday evening I've made plans months ago for a friends bday frown.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I say kirkland for the win! Its low on trafic and hi on parking.

I cant do anything on the weekdays.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    TGZ, you can't do something friday night?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    If he comes to the east side I could definitely attend, though he's going to get a pretty shitty impression of the pacific northwest. The east side is a soul-sucking suburbanite dreamland wearing abercrombie and a blank stare... eh why not. I'll go. I friggin live there. Just, flaagan, make sure you spend some time in seattle while you're here, or anywhere besides bellevue/kirkland/redmond. "The east side" isn't much like the rest of washington and you wont get a good impression of the northwest "vibe" in this area. It's just here to make the people that expect life to be like TV comfortable.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg - I like the sound of all those places, and the bbq idea sounds pretty good too!

Ferg - suburbia you say? where do I sign up?! laugh.gif
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that the east side doesn't really... have the "vibe". It doesn't necissarily mean that the people who come from there can't have the vibe, its just the fact that its a different place.

I'm up for either, but for me It'd be easier to be on the east side somewhere.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg, i'll be 60 miles away for most all friday then driving back. So i'll be dead tired by the time i get home car rides suck me dry of energy.

As long as you spend some time over in seattle youl get the seattle feeling. As for me getting into downtown seattle isnt something i love to do. I like my hilltown suburbia.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I like the East Side suburbia, grew up there, thats where the majority of the game companies are, and it's a lot more laid back than the majority of Seattle. Saturday I am down for whatever until 7pm, Friday night I'm down for whatever as well, if anyone wants to hit a nice pub in Seattle...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [trolling]
    If by "vibe" you mean homless bums humping your leg for spare change, then yeah we don't have as much of that on the eastside. Or you notice it less because you're in your car and the bums are humping your bumper[/trolling]

Count me out, everyone on this forum are a bunch of meanie faces (<-joke). When you guys settle on a date I'll let you know =/
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    i'd prefer the west side, as I think it has more character, and is more of a "city" than kirkland, for instance. for someone travling up the west coast, hanging out on the eastside would be just silly. be a tourist, meet in seattle, look at the space needle, deal with the homeless, and have a more diverse choice in drinking establishments.

/end of my two cents.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Soooo suggestions of what to do? Sounds like Saturday is the day. I know some great places to eat, burgers, thai, mexican, indian...etc etc
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well we could do the Freemont area. That has better parking options (to a point). ?

If we hold it Saturday there is a possibility of getting the conceptart meeting at the same place (or afterwords). Its a great way to meet more Vid Game artists (and others) who don't browse polycount as much.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    please make flaaag soo drunk the hospital think hes dead.. please.. pretty pretty please.. hahah

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, that's a good plan, maybe hook up with one of those Seattle surgical interns. Izzy is hawt!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure oxy wants to move it from downtown seattle in to freemont the second hardest place to get in and out of. It has more parking? but its still pay parking. Nice part about having it over here is the parking is free.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I think we're goin to the east side Oxy....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about we do both? A weeknight for eastside so TGZ can join in. A weekend for the westside. That way Flaagan gets the best of both. People can choose to go to which ever one they want or can fit.

Geez, I never knew there was soo much east versus west.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahaa, Like I said, im up for either, and there is a lot of east vs. west it seems... Never really knew either, but it sucks because im right in the middle. Well, closer to the east side now, but in about a month I'll be living in Lake City.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    east or west i'm in, although the 6th is out for me.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Personally my only beef with Seattle is the parking, on either day most of the downtown, Capitol Hill or Belltown areas are swamped. Sounds like Saturday is a good day to hang out on the West Side, maybe meet up with the CA folks as oXY suggested. Friday night we can meet up for some nice cheap-but-great eating, hangin out, anyone down for a movie or something? Maybe a grab a few drinks?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok the more i think about it the saturday meet up would be best for me. Friday night i will be way to tired to do anything. If it was in freemont then where would we go to? Cancel and derelict go to the bar next door to sureal and adobe. I'm not too big on the bar idea as much as a place with a bar.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as I don't have to be a DD, I'm good with whatever! laugh.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Oxy, clean out your PM's.

Wish I could make it, whenever and wherever you guys decide. But with a baby at home, the wife tends to frown on after hours social events. smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yah, anyone who doesn't have my cell #, pm / email me pronto and I'll get it to you!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so sounds like Saturday? Flaagan what kind of entertainment do you want?

A: Meeting at a "melow" place for coffee conversation, then later after that closes go bar hopping (so our under age locals can still come for the first part).

B: Meeting more of a pub/restaurant like environment (like Joolz did that one time near Pike Place Market (speaking of Joolz)).

C: Something someone suggests.

Who are you staying with up here flaagan? (No, im not offering-im in a group house). Might help to decide which part of town to go.

Freemont: Red Door. Only been once. Its the only place I know of. Bios probably knows better places.

Beltown: Rodeo Donuts. Its more like a coffee house. They have a upstairs that we could chill out in and smooth indie music piped in. Problem is right downtown on 5th or 6th (under Monorail). They close at 7. So it would be more a meeting point and then we could barhop or whatever in Belltown (or go to some of the contempary art galleries (the ones that display the cool shit). (Alternatively, there is that large theater Cinema right up the street where we could see whatever movie is currently playing.)

On Capital. Sooo many places. We could meet at Vitas for coffee *where Concept Art usually meets* and then when they clost at 11 (or leave it earlier) go bar and band hopping.

Ok, in honesty, Im not much of a "hopper". But Im leaving that open for you all that would like to.

As for a proper meal suggestion instead. Again, someone shout out. I have no clue (just make sure they have a salad option for me on the menu smile.gif ).

Slayjerman You out there?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin at the map stuff I have, I'll be staying in the "Richmond Highlands" area (near where 99 and 104 meet... if that helps any). I'm totally good for whatever, guys; the more people and the more stuff done the merrier, but chilling out is cool as well. smile.gif

You guys figure it out, it's your town (for now!). laugh.gif
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    what's the date again?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Who is up for a friday night east side meet?

Who is up for a saturday meet up between noon and six in Seattle? Lets get a list started.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't make it sat I'm brewing beer at Gallagher's in Edmonds I'll be thinking of you guys while I pound a few and try not to screw up my next batch of beer.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am for either, or both, unless I find a job within the time (very unlikely)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok the dates in question.

I guess Friday 6th for the east side version. Ebagg can you handle finding a place in that desert of suburbia :P smile.gif.

Saturday the 7th for the west side.

Maybe a few counters who have the option can let Fallgan see how developement is done Seattle style (poor guy has only seen EA in the past)?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a head's up, guys, I should be in town tomorrow (Tuesday), granted I will probably be way too burnt out from driving to want to hang out that night. Other than that, look forward to hanging out with people when they can. If anyone wants to meet up for lunch / dinner, or hang out, or have me swing by their work, give me a call or drop me a message. I should have a net connection at the place I'm staying in town.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conceptart has confirmed they are going to The Hideaway this week (so pfor you couldnt get in). Here is the information. Map

I figured since we havent as yet made definite plans one way or the other and they have, we can use theirs. (Again, realize there are former or less active polycounters who go to these)

Now, before this, we could meet somewhere else. For a regular meal or event all could attend. Ideas:
    -Gameworks
    -Seattle Center game center.
    -Bodies, the Exhibition (Since VC is already planning, most likely not, but DUDE! Who wants to go anyways?!)
    -Science Fiction Museum
    -Seattle Underground Tour

All the above are expensive. Some are cool, others are generic.

-Restarant/Pub.
    Maybe one on capital hill so its closer to the pub?

I don't want to take your guys entire day. The hideaway does offer some food from what I have been told? But then again, underagers are screwed, thus for those wanting we could do something earlier (or if you Eastsiders get something setup for this friday that underagers could attend)
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    (Again, realize there are former or less active polycounters who go to these)

[/ QUOTE ]

Less Active, but never former polycounter checking in.

Saturday should be fun. I’m bringing a CGchater buddy of mine (TheMagnetic) so I think we’ve got just about every game art forum covered.

Welcome to Seattle Flaagan!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Seattle!

I arrived last night (monday) around 7 pm or so. The 600 miles went by pretty quickly. I'm staying with my aunt and her boyfriend; they have no net access and at the moment are having phone line problems so I can't use my on-the-road dialup provider at the moment, but that should be fixed soon enough. (I'm filching wifi from a QFC at the moment to post this.) Those of you that have my cell # feel free to give me a ring up during the week; can meet up for lunch or whatever. Those of you that don't have my cell number, pm me on here and I'll check it out when I can (or pm oxy /ebagg, as they have my #). So what's the happening's around this town, folks? smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yah, side note, cell reception's poor to nothing at my aunt's place, so if you can't get through, leave a voice message!
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry I won't be able to join in this time around- tons of kiddie stuff going on this weekend.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currently able to filch wifi off a neighbor, dunno how long that'll last though. :P
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    Words of wisdom!

Don't let oXY anywhere near your vehicles- they'll explode by the end of the day! I speak from experience...

tongue.gif

If only I could take the time off work to drive up; I wish you all the best for the meetup.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Less Active, but never former polycounter checking in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eli! Awesome to see you back at the big green! Are you still at Amaze? Whatca been up to?
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I’m still at amaze, doing Environments for the DS and the occasional pixel art backgrounds.

Too bad you can’t make it Saturday.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Who's down for an east side meetup tomorrow for lunch?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where-abouts did you have in mind, ebagg?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Kirkland area-ish.