Home General Discussion

Poly-problems

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'll kinda-sorta agree with Xaltar here. Like most internet communities, if you aren't an established member or consistant contributor, you're going to get some grief. I was here in the Q2PMP days but spent some time away while starting grad school. My return to Polycount was heralded by Wharhoul's ripping my head off whilst simultaneously shoving his foot up my ass becasue I didn't share his opinion on the first Matrix sequels. Such is life just about anywhere on these here intarnets.

The upside is that Polycount is genuinely helpful and direct. If you can handle honesty, you probably get better advice and instruction for digital art here than anywhere else I can think of. Perhaps we're not the most patient community and putting up with melodramatic teenage angst isn't something I personally care to do, but posters can help themselves in that regard.

Morrowindsky's posts seem to be complaining that the site isn't being revamped fast enough to suit him, followed up by this current emo vanity thread. That's not how you win friends and influence people, but I'm sure he'd be welcomed back once he settles down and learns to go with the flow.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Give him a few years, if he hasn't grown up a bit by then, well *shrugs*
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    people would be nicer to you if you told them you were a chick. then you could say any stupid shit you wanted.

fat%20cat.jpg
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Not that many people are bashing him. Mostly we just got tired of it and decided to make the post fun.. with kittens!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ... well i posted a cat pic and that was my ultimate goal.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    people would be nicer to you if you told them you were a chick. then you could say any stupid shit you wanted

[/ QUOTE ]
    So true.
    If said emo kids want respect on these forums, post some art.....that doesn't suck that is. But if it does suck, embrace the suckyness and move on, and one day you'll post something and polycount will be like "hey, That only sucks a Little bit."

communication + unity = community.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    and one day you'll post something and polycount will be like "hey, That only sucks a Little bit."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I'm almost there. frown.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    "Going too far" is subjective and could be argued to death, I think with any public forum, online or not, if you mention something personal, whether it be an idea, opinion or something about your life, you are opening yourself up to criticism. Whether that criticism is constructive in the least remains to be seen.

As far as polycount goes I think a big thing worth saying is that when you are criticized, it's not just a bunch of people swearing up a storm calling you such popular choices as "fag" or "bitch". The moderators here have got to be some of the best I've seen. There doesn't seem to be a great level of animosity towards them or many of us average polycounters saying they're corrupt. Often times topics are derailed, but more for the sake of debating that name calling. We are an opinionated bunch after all.

If you're just one of those disagreeable types who repeatedly posts trash, you'll be shunned a bit, just like the game industry these forums represent. But I don't see newbies who are all around good people with art to show and/or constructive critiques to give get bashed because of their post count.

Kudos to polycount, morrowindsky, somewhere amid the cats there have been suggestions on how to act better, if you take that advice I'm sure we'll be just fine with you sticking around.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i love the harsh nature of the forums, then again i love the whips.

stick FTW

carrot FTL

i think there is a slight difference between forums, when i need ego massage i post on cgtalk..... alot.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

stick FTW

carrot FTL

[/ QUOTE ]

lol hell yeah
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this is a S&M club aint it??
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I was welcomed pretty quick here. But I kept my wits about me. I realized that the forum was of a much older age group, and it may have been from past experiences (my brothers are 4 and 6 years older than I am) that allowed me to not post things similar to "Why are you guys mean to me?!" twice over.

I mean, ok, bitch about something in your life, whatever. But dont come to people, bitch about them, and expect everyone to be like "aww poor guy, here have some chocolate!". Not gonna happen, no matter where you go. I'm sorry, but this is a grown forum, and to come in here, and not realize that, and expect everyone to bow down to you, is simply ridiculus.

For a long time I just kept to myself, and when I did post, I made sure that I was coherent, intelligible, and most importantly, didn't complain. I tried to offer something to the community, rather than nagging about it. Like most should. Now, I don't condone just bashing this kid to bits, but rather sending him one, ONLY ONE, PM describing what he possibly did wrong, and how to fix it for next time.

And if you're reading this Morrowindsky, you said you post whatever you feel? Well, sometimes its not polite, or socially secure to say what you feel in real life, so don't expect any difference here.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Oi, did I say you could stop posting cats?!

fatcat.jpg
  • skankerzero
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    christ! I need to start a folder of fat cats and kittens, because they just make me smile!
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
    I'M A BOY.

p.s. - noel? is that a cat, or a lard container? it's hard to tell.
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
    i cannot believe what i've been putting the administrators through, so i apologized. look for that post.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'M A BOY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since someone said cats make him smile: http://cuteoverload.com/

This stuff really makes your morning, seriously.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    i love the harsh nature of the forums, then again i love the whips.
    i think there is a slight difference between forums, when i need ego massage i post on cgtalk..... alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Shep on this one. To be honest I've not seen but one or two posts on here where I felt someone was treated a bit rude. I personally love polycount, it's the only forum I've found that seems full of 'real' people.
    I see the same thing in a class when a student gets a critique and most of the negative points are brought up. He/She usually gets upset and quickly dismisses anything said simply because they take it personally. Those people hardly ever improve. Let's face it, if your work sucks...you know it sucks. To those who can't handle an honest critique....get a helmet.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    I think everyone that likes polycount suffer from stockholm syndrome ^_^