Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Gunslinger (WIP)

Kyraal
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Kyraal polycounter lvl 17
So, I've decided to start on a little personal project, and my ultimate main goal is actually to finish it, since I'm pretty horrible at that.

My other main goal, in a bit more detail, is to make a game character at around 7k tris, with diffuse, normal, spec, and glow maps. The size of these to be determined. I won't use the term "next gen", but at one point or another I want to import it into UT2k7 as a playable character.

Design details and concept art are to be determined. I have the beginnings of the character's head, though, and so far I am leaning towards a middle-aged/elderly cowboy/gunslinger with a futuristic twist, a bit along the lines of the setting of Firefly.

Here is the head in question. The facial hair is temporary, and the detailing on the face will most likely not change much, since I have a tendancy to overwork my art.

Click for the large size (1600x653px @ 139 KB):
elderly_man_th.jpg

I will aim for at least one update every day, starting Monday the 16th, even if it's just something minor, just to keep me going (need to build up a momentum

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looks really nice. i love the mouth and the face in general, the ears seem a bit underworked in comparison. i would probably give them a once over to bring them up to par. but i think i also have an ear fetish or something because thinking about it its the only crit i seem to give. haha, great stuff, cant wait for updated.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    no crits from me. this is an uber model. i agree with arshlevon about the ears tho.
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [...] the ears seem a bit underworked in comparison. i would probably give them a once over to bring them up to par [...]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree. The ears will get a little overhaul, but that will mostly consist of deforming the general shape a bit, giving them a slightly more aged shape. Probably minute - if any - actual "carving" smile.gif

Arm
    The initial concept is done. Been working all weekend, so have only this evening had time to sit down and scribble down the thoughts. I'm trying to find a thin balance between the past, today, and the future. The cybernetic arm is what defines the futuristic aspect the most. However, I am uncertain about the shinyness of it. It will probably be best to tone it down, and make it a bit more matte.

The glove is mostly for appearances. He isn't ashamed of his arm, as you can tell because of the short sleeve. The short sleeve is because when he lost his right arm, the sleeve was damaged by the projectile. He opted to cut the sleeve off since he likes his jacket a lot and refused to throw it away.

Jacket
    The right side of his jacket is made out of thicker, sturdier material than the left side, since this side is he primarily exposes to his opponents during combat (why his right arm was damaged and had to be replaced).

Hat
    The hat is very, very basic and I won't be doing anything fancy with it. Aside from placing an eagle feather onto it.

Belt
    I will probably place ammunition onto his belt, for his revolver, but I'm waiting with that until I have the weapon design outlines, and know how ammunition for it would look.

futuristic_cowboy_concept_1.jpg

Next step is to figure out a design for the revolver. The pose of his left arm looks a bit awkward, but that is because I will place a rifle, resting in the loop of his arm, which I will also need to design (the rifle, not the loop of his arm :P).

I have to admit, I'm a bit daunted by the complexity of the concept, since I have never modelled something as complicated. Perhaps I will end up having to sacrifice some of the details, but I hope not.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Hahah, maybe your cowboy and my indian can duke it out!///Liking the face a lot...although id work on the eye piece a little, cause it looks kinda like a beatle right now.

I like the design, its simple and clean but very nice/
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, I'm afraid your indian would probably kick my gunslinger's ass smile.gif

I should have mentioned the "eyepatch" in the description above, but completely forgot about it. It's not a regular eyepatch, but a kind of prosthetic. He lost his eye (surprise) and had it replaced with an advanced sonar-like eye that lets him see through smoke, fog, and in the darkness. So it does look, I suppose, a bit like a fat beetle perched on his eye smile.gif There is also a little cable there, leading into his skull via his cheekbone.
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duh, so much for one update a day. Studies been tough, and work not quite as tough, but nearly.

Started work on the futuristic revolver concept tonight:

daisy_wip_01_th.jpg

I think I might need some input on the design before I finish it up completely. I was trying to go for a look that casually resembles a 19th century revolver, but I feel I might have lost it there somewhere. This is an energy gun, and a rechargeable energy cell replaces the cylinder.

The grip looks a bit uncomfortable, so I think I will give that a workover, and make it look a bit more.. old-fashioned.
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has anyone ever played gunman? this concept reminds me of it. god i loved that game keep it up dude cant wait to see it done. smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. I really like the gun design. If you want to make it look more like a revolver, just make the chamber cylindrical. I think that should be enough to sell the look.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    why not replace the blocky enery cell with a more cylindrical one?
    that may help retain the revolver look.Or, you could put the ole fashioned cyclinder in there, have it fling out, as if you were going to reload, but then thats where the "battery" could go. makes a litte more sense to. That way if your gun got shot, in the cell, battery acid wouldnt fly all over your arm.
    just my two cents.
    lookin ace though
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This is some really cool stuff. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really nice man ! i like the look of the dude alot eheh , that gun reminds me a bit of the gun heat uses on gungrave eheh, still its original on its own ! go go go !