Home Technical Talk

3dsmax :: Multi Normal Map probleme

collings
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
collings polycounter lvl 17
hi guys,

i have a question, is it possible to render multiple normal map in 3dsmax8 ( i use 3 differents uvspace,0-0, 0-1 and 1-0). I ask that because i'm searching a solution since 2 days and i can't find anything. I'll try the composite map, that's work fine for diffuse, bump and spec but not at all for Normal Map.
Please i need help on this i just become crazy confused.gif hope somebody can help me.

here is a simple scene to show you my probleme. ( 3dsmax8 scene file)
http://sillord.free.fr/CompositeMap.rar

Replies

• collings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just make a test with different material id and it's works but i don't want to use multi/sub material because that doesn't work quite well with SSS. So i need to find an other solution that's why i tested the composite map solution.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I think I see the problem. If you want each side of the cube to share the same bitmap but have its own unique part of that texture, then all six sides need to be laid out within the main 0-1 UV box, without any overlapping.

Try this... Add a UVW Map modifier set to Box. Add a UVW Unwrap, go into Face mode, then Tools > Pack UVs. Then create a single texture that matches the new UV layout.
  • collings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi Eric, thank you man, i found th e solution.
    i wanted to do a material to use multi uv space on my character. Here is the solution for those who are interested in.

okxo7.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh. This will only work for rendering within Max, it won't work for the majority of real-time 3D games, in fact it may render way too slow for _any_ game. Also jpg is a bad format for normalmaps, too much lossiness and doesn't stay compressed in memory, and no alpha channel either.
  • collings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The normal map is in psd format, the NoramlMap-U.-V.jpg are just the name of a square white map which show the right uvspace in render.

It's not for real-time 3D Games but for a cinematic character