Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

characters wip thread

character
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
character polycounter lvl 18
here's something i've been working on. it's a dude from the conceptart.org chat room. i didn't nail the likeness, but it's still good practice. working on the hair right now, and going for a clean, sims style texture. let me know what you guys think

grvwip001.jpg
grvwip001b.jpg

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think theres some clashing styles in this piece. If you look at the shoes and ankles, its a very cartoony texture and proportion. The rest of the body has pretty much realistic proportions, and a texture that feels like its going for at least some realism as well.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, it started out as a cartoony piece, but then i decided to bulk him up a bit. i'll change the proportions once i finish the textures. i'll add some more detail on the textures for the arms and legs to match up with the head. thanks for pointing that out =)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with Aesir, bring the ankles and shoes up to match the rest of the guy. Looks cool though dude.

Hurry and make it back to the drawing club man!

poop.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I like the painting style of this character.
    Though the legs and arms definately need some more love (which was stated), but once those areas are painted up to match suit the rest, it'll definately be a strong model.
    As for the shoes, refer to aesir's post.
    Keep it up.

-caseyjones
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys. i took a break from him and did this dog. i'll update the sims guy tomorrow. i'll post better pics of the dog too. oh, and here's an sdk of the dog if anyone wants to check it out here
    EDIT: updated with new unwrap and normal/diff maps

btw that's not the finished texture on the dog. it's just 2am and i need to sleep. will post better pics tomorrow
    dogwip004.jpg
    dogwip006.jpg
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, here's an update on the sims guy. no one liked the shoes except me and my friend, so i switched 'em up. what do you guys think? btw haven't redone the texture yet. that's coming next

edit: guess it helps if i add the image huh? =p
    grvwip009.jpg

edit: foot was looking square so i modified it:
    grvwip010.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I love that dog laugh.gif

For the guy I think his trapezius is too chunky, but I'm sure that is something you were going to adjust in the proportions.
    The skin could do with some more contrast I reckon, it looks a bit washed out.

Good stuff.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i wasn't too happy with what i was getting soooo i played with some deformers and viola:
    grvwip011.jpg
    i think this guy has alot more personality. might deform another one. this model building method is fun =)
    let me know what you guys think. thanks for the feedback lupus
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Well the new proportions are great! Definately brings more character to the model, plus you got to keep your shoes! Give those arms and legs some love!
    The dog looks awesome too dude! Great stuff.

-caseyjones
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks casey. i'll work on the arms and legs of the guy today

tried normal mapping the dog and i was successful except for these seams:
    dogwip006-1.jpg

i don't get seams anywhere else, just the legs. i'm thinking it's because of the size ration on the uv space where the two parts connect. anyone have any ideas or any links i can follow to hopefully fix this? thank you!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Character, cool buff guy you have here!

As for the dog leg seams I cannot tell on the technical side (even if I think that the pixel ratio difference is huge across the seam), might be an engine issue. BUT you could unwrap it seamlessly, ala tiger rug.

I picked that from Firestarter, it really works, and all quadrupeds can be sone that way.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good thought. i wanted to do that originally but i was afraid i'd have too much wasted texture space and that it wouldn't look good in my portfolio. i'll give it a shot tho, it's something i was thinking of doin. thanks for the feedback =)
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there sex puppet! Groove turned out quite nice, although there's not too much left of him in that latest iteration of the model. :P I think you should give the texture more contrast, at the moment its a little bland. I also think you could give him a more powerful chin, to fit the cartoon superhero proportions. It would also be more true to josh, since he has quite a powerful chin.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good points dude. i'm not sure how to mess with the contrast tho. i'll post an update later this afternoon and you guys can let me know what you think =D
    i'm reunwrapping and reworking the dog texture atm. update soon
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grv013.jpg
    i tried putting more detail into the muscles but then i started loosing the cartoony look. i'm not sure what to do =\ any tips on the skin tones would be great. i'm very n00bish when it comes to coloring things. also made the chin a bit bigger along with the jaw. what do you guys think?
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weeee:
    groovehpants.jpg

and here's a fancy render that's showing up with seams for some reason:
    grv014.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    there you go

uvsrug.jpg

I use the empty UVspace to duplicate some parts of the UVs, it allows for asymetry especially on the back and groin. I just deleted these bits here to make my point more clear. Red lines are the only seems you will bet, and they are all hidden on the inside of the legs.

Woof!
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooh, nice layout. i ended up going with this layout:
    dooguvs.jpg
    i have 2 seams, the bast of the tail and the top of the paws, but fortunately, nothings showing up on the viewport and it's a dark dog too. thanks for the tips man
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also working on this. need some feedback on the jawline/chin. thinking of going with the third one:
    bb001.jpg
    bb002.jpg
    bb003.jpg
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, that last dude aint that impressive, haha. left him out of my folio. btw, i updated my site, go check it out and plz leave me some feedback if you have some time. link is in my sig

here's some life modeling from tonights drawing workshop. i was inspired by pers and ...argh, i forget his name =( i'll edit later when i remember, but modeling with strips and just getting the form down and not worrying about loops and all that jazz. anyways, enough jabber, here you go =)

liefmodelring.jpg
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on it some more this morning. straying from the original costume she had one, which was 'indian girl' themed. was just a loin cloth, a feather, boots and thats it, heh

liefmodelring2.jpg
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's this weekends sketches
    i'll update some 3d stuff hopefully by the end of the week
    busy looking for a job right now
    in and outside of the biz
    001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    005.jpg
    006.jpg
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your style even tho i cant model or draw but if i could it prob. wouldnt look as good. smile.gif
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    love the sketches!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Those sketches are great! The pages are just chock full of interesting concepts and poses, I dig it!
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    awesome stuff, like it was said above, really nice poses and perspective.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, checked out your site. to bo honest, I prefer your blog site much more. there is just so much more content there and Yuor drawings especially are just awesome. The drawings you had on your site I dodnt feel were your strongest ones and I wanted to see more. That's just my opinion though.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conman: hehe, thanks for the kind words man =)
    skrubbles: glad you like 'em dude =)
    Eric: Thanks man! trying to keep them quick and energetic. glad it's workin for ya
    Tremulant: thank you sir =D
    animatr: hmmm, i'll keep that in mind. i had tons more work up there before, but i thought it was too much so i reduced the number of images, but i guess i left up the wrong ones. i'll work on some newer stuff and see if i update it soon. thanks for the feedback!

reworked an older piece. any crits?
    form004.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff! been watching..
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks dekard!

here's some stuff from tonights drawing workshop
    hope you dig !

007.jpg
    008.jpg
    009.jpg
    010.jpg
    011.jpg
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started modeling the goblin after some tips from Ashkat about zbrush
    almost done with the base mesh
    prolly another hour or two on it then i'll take it to zbrush for detailing
    or i might wait until i do the body
    we'll see
    gobbie001.jpg

gobbie001b.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    good lookin base mesh. Nice topology smile.gif

good luck with the brush of z
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks aesir. btw, are you aesir on ca too?

here's an update
    wasn't getting what i wanted so i just kept going at it
    gonna redo the brows
    dunno how i ended up with the double lumps
    once i finsh that up, i'm gonna do the body before i take it to zbrush
    i wanna do a full high res character
    never done it before
    anyways:
    gobbie004.jpg