Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kahn - reworked!

Miguelito
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
Hi there,

i had some time to work on my Oliver Kahn model. I want to keep it as realistic as possible but I still have problems with his likeness. I know there is something wrong but I cant exactly say what. Another big problem is his hair. I am using Max's hair&fur for the first time. I want to use a 3 point lighting setup but if the hair is lighted by more than one light, the hair is just lighting like the sun frown.gif
Here are some orthos (the hair can only be rendered in perspective view) kahn_wip_08_09_ortho.jpg
Here a perspective view with hair (3 lights):
kahn_wip_08_09_pers.jpg
Light and shadows look odd I know...

And reference I am using:
oli_reference.jpg

Maybe someone already worked with Hair&Fur or can give me the final tip for his likeness smile.gif. THX

Cheers

Miguelito

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn hair like that must be nightmarish to mimic with dynamic hair. The likeness is pretty damn close, maybe the nostrils and the lower lip could be tightened slightly, but otherwise looking top notch!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    overlaying your render with your reference image in photoshop should help point out characteristics that are off.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the comments.
    A little update:
    kahn_wip_09_09_ortho.jpg

I think the likeness is better now however its not perfect yet...

Miguelito
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying my best but I got the feeling that with every step that I do I make it even worse. This guy really has a strange head shape . I'm quite satisfied with the front and the side but the 3/4 doesnt look right!

kahn_wip_13_09_ortho.jpg

Thx for your help!

Miguelito

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    untitled2wv3.jpg

Hey good work - although I must admit when I first saw it I thought "Ballack" not Kahn, but its coming more towards Kahn.

Green: The protrusion of his forehead (from his eyes) goes up a little higher than you have it. Its not much but it makes his eyes look more dominant.

Blue: The curve of the eye (highlighted BY the line) all seems to be one on Kahns head. Right now, I _think_ it dips too much into the head above the nose.

Red: The bottom eyelid of the eyes needs to come down a bit further to meet the puff of the upper eye (these could do with a bit more puffying out, too)

Yellow: Right now the nostrils aren't thick enough. A tad bit length to them (downwards) and you'll have it spot on.

White: The mouth meets in a neutral spot when it seems to actually go down. Lower that meeting spot and I think you'll have the likeness more in the mouth. The top lip could do with a bit of shortening (not a lot!) whilst the curve of the bottom lip (near the white marks) isn't so obvious - this could be due to the meeting point of the lips and that may fix it.

Pink: The jaw line from this angle seems to extend further out, so the shadow should follow more of the pink path.

Good job though

Notes from this picture: http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_footballworldcup/KAHN_Oliver_20040623_GH_R.jpg

I think this highlights the area above the eyebrows and how it doesn't drop off under the nose. The nose could do with a slight bump in it (across the nose - not visible from the side)

Side: http://www.buchjournal.de/sixcms/media.php/503/Cover%20Oliver%20Kahn%20-%20Nummer%20Eins.jpg
    Front: http://www.viva.de/teleschau/images/1/200620_168693_1_024.jpg
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THX thnom. Usefull tips! I'll look into that! But today I worked on the hair:
    kahn_wip_13_09_hair.jpg

Miguelito
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    The hair is lookn great although maybe to uniform on the side. As far as the likeness , the corner of his mouth could curl up some more. Good job man.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Hair is looking way better dude. One thing that sticks out as far as the face structure is the brow ridge. The ref has more of a higher portion in the middle and a slope off toward the the inidiviual sides of the face to the eyes. Yours is closer to the opposite or flat.

It's looking good though man, keep on this.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Looking very good, and the hair is coming along very well.
    I would suggest to rework the forehead wrinkles, because Kahn has very pronounced wrinkles and the ones on your model are kind of blurred - actually, they became more blurred the more you worked on the model and textures. If you manage to implement changes that thnom suggested, I think you will be closer to achieving good likeness.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the indent above his upper lip is way too soft, in the two reference pics it's really pronounced, especially straight above the upper lip which gives the lip itself a hard edge