Home Technical Talk

Uv mapping hands?

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
This is a kinda stupid question, but I was wondering how lowpoly hand uv maps are most commonly done. I usually try to planar the top/bottom with fingers attached, and if possible weld one side of the hand together to lessen seams. is there a better way I should be considering?

Replies

• Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I have done it several ways, but I actually prefer to just uv map the top and the bottom, it is quick and easy, occasionally I'll attach the side of the hand at the pinky, but I've also done it in a way that the thumb is where it's attached.

Hands are probably one of my least favorite things to do anything with, texure, model, rig, they're just a pain. And if you get them wrong, it can really throw off the whole look of a model.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think when I was working on the hands for No More Room In Hell, we just cylidner mapped each finger, detached from the palm. If you do pelt mapping, you can run the seam along the edge of the finger that isn't most visible on screen (assuming the hands are for an FPS).

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4145/handqe3.jpg

The green lines are where the seams were. If that were the right hand of the player in an FPS, the seams along the fingers would very rarely (if ever) be shown. Seams weren't a huge issue since I just used Polyboost to paint them out.