Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skaven Model

Noonie
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Noonie polycounter lvl 17
Hey all. Im pretty new here but so far Im digging the forums. I popped this in the what are you working on forum but things move so fast in there its hard to get feedback sometimes. So here goes.

4739 tri's, basic diffuse maps and a flat screen cap from Max.

skaven.jpg

Original wires:

round2_1.jpg

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Model looks good...I think if you pushed the texture a bit more you could really make it pop. Namely giving some more love to the blade... Hands and the bit of the arm that comes out of his robe could use some more attention (adding a bit of a shadow where the arm and robe meet might help)....You could also probly collapse some edgeloops here and there in the mesh without hurting the silhouette....
    The dead cats are a nice touch..good job
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    Kickass ! I concurr with low odor about the texture its really kick ass, but it could be even more kick ass-er ? haha. Im no expert but maybe make the contrast a bit more apparent to make it pop a bit more on the areas mentionened, the cats are cool indeed !
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    try just giving it the old filter > sharpen. sometimes thats all it needs...
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    looking good. Haven't seen a lot of WHFB inspired art on here. keep it up
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of The Secret of Nihm wink.gif Looks cool.
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    This is a great looking character Noonie smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Right now, the horns and generic animal head shape make it look more like a goat. It needs more realistic rat-like facial features.

For example, two large two front gnawing teeth instead of the Saber tooth Tiger teeth you gave it. Also the other teeth shouldn’t be so pointy, bring them down more realistically, like canine teeth.

Adding the hump in the snout that rats have would help a LOT with the look. This image is silly example, but shows the exaggerated snout hump
    http://www.starcostumes.com/prodimages/MCVA682.jpg

Oh, and dirtier texture, lots of stains especially more towards the lower sections.

Overall, it’s pretty good, but the face needs some more attention.
  • Noonie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments and suggestions.

low odor / jamaludin: yeah I think that the robe needing some pop has been the main critique on him so far. Ill go in and tighten up the arms part too, I got a little stretching from my texture and was under a time crunch for graduation to finish this one.

Sectaurs: Ive never really used sharpen Ill give it a shot. Thanks =)

Seantree: I plan on it. Its one of the companies I would like to work at.

Cholden: Yeah the Skaven are vry stylized in the warhammer universe. Its based off their mmo they are developing, which is a tabletop war game. Very cool stuff. I think they still have the piece I used as inspiration on their website in the concept section. As for the textures I think youre right on. There does need to be more dirt on the bottom of his robes and stains.

Thanks again guys.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    noonie, you dope. cholden works on Warhammer Online. He gave you some good comments. smile.gif

The character looks pretty good, I would listen to the comments here. The concept is on my website if anyone else wants a look.

http://lucas.hardi.org
  • Noonie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah I just found out... yeah... god Im so socially AWESOME! Thanks for the advice and humility haha. =) Im going to crawl into a dark corner and fix this one.

Nice Roland model btw, I need to get around to finishing those books.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    lol yeah noonie Cholden works like 3 cubes away from me. It seems like 80% of poly count is Mythic. I like where its headin though, but Ive told you that already. Cholden is right, dirty is good. Skaven are nasty dirty things.

For the horns on the head... in the concept on the Mythic page the horns are much longer and curl more. I think part of what makes it look like the horns are part of the head rather than the helm is that they are the same brownish tint as the head and body where in the concept its more of a redish color over all.

The helm is also a banged up metal, not leather. That will also help distinguish between the horns on the helm and the actual head.

So very dirty. He looks freshly groomed. Think of him as just climbing out of the water. I'm also looking at the concept again and see that the exposed skin has alot of veins and some cuts and stuff.

Other than that its going good. You've had a great improvement over the past few weeks. Good job man.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    agreed on the dirty stuff. just readin the first gotrek and felix omnibus to get aquainted with the warhammer world before the game comes out, and the skaven are NASTY little buggers. Too bad they aren't a playable race from the get go. oh well, dirty him up and be sure to give him some warpstone snuff. lol
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    psh, ignore these dudes. they don't know what's awesome like me. skavens should be octopus men with lazer faces. that's way cooler. the model is formidable and it was way cool seeing your texturing get better over the last couple o' months. get busy on making these dude's suggestions happen.

hope the job search is going well, phx az represent!
  • Noonie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kill. AZ represent! wurd. Just finishing up the demo. Should be sending around next week. Anyhoot. I started on the suggestions tonight. Heres where I am at so far. I think I hit most of the stuff. Xeto are you sure about the helm? I started playing with flipping it to metal but I am wary it doesnt feel right. But hey Ill work on a version and post it then you can judge. I do think dirty-ing up the cloth was fun but now the rest feels clean =) so Ill probably hit the other stuf with some grunge. Any suggestions on how to dirty up the fur? So far all I can think of is going in and repainting parts but I figured you industry studs have some tricks you wanted to share right? right?

Well here goes the update. Thanks again for all the feedback and critiques by the way. It's been awesome.

dirt_2.jpg

dirt_1.jpg

dirt_3.jpg

dirt_4.jpg

dirt_5.jpg
  • Wolf Dreamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL! A powerful ratman mage, walking about with a dead cat as a trophy. Or perhaps that was someone's familiar, him preserving it for magical purposes.

Very nice work.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    man, this is pretty dope. the metal texture on the weapon doesn't stack up to the rest of the model. it's a bit muddy. could use some more specularity to give it a nice sheen. anyways, dope stuff =D
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hah! yes, now that is magical!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Get those feet and socks absolutley clarried with muck. Get hte fur matted, and the fingernails dirty.

The model and texture are great, but just push it. push it real good.

To take it to next level, imagine what that evil filthy rat bastard would look like after not washing for 3 weeks and being on the march. The rain makes mud that hes walk through, that dries into his fetid matted fur, that gets damp, then anoher layer of mud over the top of that. This of the scabs and open sores.

dead_rat.jpg