Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1k posts??? [image dump]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
For my thousandth post I thought I'd do something fun.

Heres a little image dump of my entire portfolio.

steambotcopy.jpg

pirateandmonkeycopy.jpg

childgeneralcopy.jpg

soldiercopy.jpg

bandidocopy.jpg

Lizardmancopy.jpg

And just to compare, heres the link to the very first image that I posted on this forum smile.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/aeson/hahahaha.jpg

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you guys for putting up with me this far. I've still got 2 years till I graduate and start lookin for a job. We'll see if I can't make some really cool stuff before then!

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Happy 1000th smile.gif

The mexican guy and the pirate + monkey are the ones that I think really stand out. The platforms are a nice touch too. GJ!
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    The monkey is very visually interesting, I think he should be bigger in order to fill more screenspace. At his current size I think he would become lost on a standard tv running on ps2 or some such setup. Which would be a pity smile.gif
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome improvement.. the last couple of guys would come across a bit better if you put them in more dynamic poses
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Happy thousandth, I'm celebrating my like what? 50th ? hahah

Edit: oooh, 60th
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems to be a recuring theme in your work to have absolutely no painted in floth folds or wrinkles, making your textures come off really flat. The normal mapped kid is in deperate need of actually being textured, as face is the only part of the entire model that dosent just have a flat color applied. Seeing as this is one of your only works that shows off your skills in relation to more current tech i would highly recommend going over that and revamping the texture work.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, way to go man, happy 1000th. Models are lookin great. smile.gif

I do agree with EQ though. I notice it esspecially on the mexican guy. He's got a big ass cloth draped over him, but it has absolutly no folds?

Ahh well, still some great stuff man. smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the crits and comments guys.

nealb4me, yea I agree, its definitely pretty small, but it starts to look a little odd when I get it much large. A large part of that is because I screwed up the proper monkey proportions for it. Its basically got human proportions with a monkey face and pose.

low odor, yea I hope to get some cooler poses. Sadly, right now most of those rigs are just 10 minute half assed attempts to make the pose asymetrical. Hopefully I can get some nicer rigs on them eventually.

EQ and tulk, yes. Cloth is probably my greatest weakness right now. I really have no understanding of how it folds and wrinkles and I lack the confidence to put it into my work. A lot of times I'll try to, but it'll end up looking shoddy, so I'll ditch it. I'll try to make that a focus on my next character. As far as revamping the kid, Im just planning to write that one off as a learning experience. I honestly dont like how the whole thing came out design wise. If I ever do overhaul it, it'll be waaay more then just the texture. (oh and eq, the lizardman has a normal map too smile.gif )

Hopefully, none of these models will be in my final portfolio by the time I start looking for a job. At least... thats my goal.

Anyways, keep pointing out any weaknesses you see in my work. Im not even close to as good as I want to be, so anything you guys can do to point out what I suck at would be lovely.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    For cloth folds, try taking a few pics of diferent types of cloth in diferent hanging states and use them for reference. Like a bedsheet draped over a chair for example.
    Your models are looking cool, I can see huge improvement from the 1st to the last wink.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! thats some real great improvement! i hope the same amount happens with me by my 1000th...

oh, and happy 1000th!