Home Technical Talk

Max8 Render To Texture Dithering issue?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
I’m using Render To Texture to bake the UVs of one mesh down to another version where the UVs take up less space, but the texture is rendering out with lots of speckled pixels that look like a highly dithered texture. Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

I’ve been using Render To Texture for baking normals and such without any problem, I only get this on DiffuseMap.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, if you're re-baking diffuse from a different low-poly uv layout, you have to tweak the antialiasing and supersampling settings.
    i remember having the same problem but if you fiddle around with those (try turning off antialiasing completely) it should get rid of the speckles.

also make sure you're not accidentally including your destination mesh in the bake. maybe give the source mesh a Push of 0.01 or something.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is probably obvious, and I'll sound like a toolbox for asking, but have you enabled the global supersampling in the RTT options dialog?
    Under Projection Settings there is an "options" button. Click that, then see the Global Supersampler setting. Is it set to "none"? Click "Setup" and enable the Global SS. You can even choose your SS algorithm, although I just leave it as Max 2.5 star.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks MoP, got it.

I disabled Antialiasing and Filter Maps. Then everything rendered out properly.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Just as an FYI for other people who might find this thread, and the previous suggestions do not work. Try merging just the two objects into a new fresh scene, and resetting Xforms on both objects. I've had times where no AA or SS settings would fix it, but merging them into a new blank scene and resetting Xforms fixed the problem.

poop.gif
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Max usually gets confused if the two meshes are identical, even if the sourcemesh is not included.
    So applying a tiny push to one of them, like Mop proposed, should fix the problem without increasing rendertime or having to fiddle with the settings. Also if it's just about different uv layouts on identical meshes you simply can use one mesh and bake from one channel to the other.