Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

game character:Mcfarlane'sDragon

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
darth.perry polycounter lvl 11
hello,everyone. i am new member.it's my first post.one of my excisies,i know here have many superior,So,if i can get some advice,i will be gratefully,thanks:) 21976421.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, that rocks. Mind showing an imagine of the McFarlane toy? It'll help with the critiques. I like the colouring - the opacity on the wings is a little blurry and you've got some colour that's floating off the wing unrealistically.

Some better shots of the wireframe would be nice too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice, can we see a full res texture map?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    looks like this guy I browsed through all i could find and that was the one it most resembled.

Great recreation of him. smile.gif I'd love to see the full res texture.

To be honest i think the legs and arms are a little busy with texture and stray away from the smooth muscle like features of the chest area. If you could possibly shade the texture detail you already have to hint at the shapes of the muscle structure I think it could really get your eye to make sence of all the awesome detail you have going on!

Welcome to PC.
  • darth.perry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI,thanks everyone:)i am find the concept,his name is "ETERNAL CLAN DRAGON" My dragon is little different with it,too many squama on it:)i will post the full res texture as soon as:)

200541919244982277.jpg
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • darth.perry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the full res texture:)thanks again:)
    42486928.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The Texture looks great. I have to agree with Sean McBride
    though, the arms look a bit bussy. Otherwise, nice work.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I like dude. Good work!

ben
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    game-ready polycounter lvl 17
    I think everything goes together nicely except the head, maybe more highlights up there, like the chest. Nice plates on the chest btw. Great stuff!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Really good texturing, great style too! One thing; the texture has a lot of great small detail, but certain areas lack in large detail. For example, if you zoom way out on your character, certain areas get muddy (upper legs, arms, head, neck, etc). The best looking areas for overall distance detail are the lower legs/feet. This part of the texturing holds up great from far away, and continues to look more detailed the more I zoom in. Great work overall though.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dang, very nice. In addition to what Cholden has pointed out, I'd also be concerned about the wings. Would they never spread (if it were in a game)? Having so little texture space for the wing flap would stretch like crazy. I'd think it would work better to give it full space and then animate it closed and let the texture overlap.

poop.gif
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    very cool darth.perry. saved for inspiration smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    undeniably awesome, but I'd be curious to see how it looks on a lighter background, since it seems that a lot of your details on the texture use pure black, which can look rad on a black background, but can sometimes look out of place in other settings.

I'd also love to see some alternate color schemes... just because that'd be cool. heh.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    dragon looks awesome! I need to find one of these toys for my desk!
  • darth.perry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone again:)this character use me a whole month 's free time......at last,i finished it,i try to draw every squama,not use any texture,it's a really test for my endurance.......i am glad to hear you like it,thanks again:)
    now i am start a new exercise,a full normal map character,i am try to use Mudbox to make a million polygon character and use it to make normal map,now it was WIP,when it finished,i will show it for everyone:)
    thanks everyone's advice:)
    BTW:Mcfarlane's toy is veeeeery cool,i have five dragon and a monster,but it was too expensive to me......maybe oneday i can buy more toys for myself:)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing texture. Hand painted? o_0
  • Ramza24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramza24 polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing texture... nearly flawless and very inspiring. definitely an argument for the pre-normal map look.

My only crit would be the legs. I don't know how close you were trying to get to the toy (it's damn close btw), but your guy has a chicken-leg look to him. His lower legs look extremely avian, and the toy's legs look much more muscular and reptilian. Most dragons have huge legs. Great job!
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    That's a wicked model and skin. Really nice work.

My only comment would be, as Sectaurs said, that the detail lines are very dark. If you look at the model pic, the cracks between the scales are merely a darker shade of the surrounding skin, which gives it more of a GI look. Personally I'd go for somewhere between the two: show that not so much light is hitting those surfaces and add a bit of dirt that would accumulate in them too (or maybe dragons wash themselves like cats?) anyway, great work.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thats f***** impressive !!
  • Chi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chi polycounter lvl 17
    Love McFarlane figures, as for the texture work Great job! So much attention to detailed. Got a portfolio?