Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frostsword for Oblivion

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
Hey. It is me again. I have been experimenting with normal maps and shaders again. I decided to do a low poly sword, and to actualy put it into use. I will port it into Oblivion. So the specs are similar. Well everything else is done. I just have to learn how to import new weapons into Oblivion. If anyone has any url to help me with porting it into a Oblivion I would be very gratefull. I also want to know how does the engine handle specular,glow and reflection. Modeled in max, zbrush and photoshop. If anyone wonders why the frostsword name. I will add some glowy parts into metal and handle, with some particles WOW like style:)) I hope it will look great in game. Here is how it looks in max viewport with color, normal, specular and reflection maps.

deb88d79cb4dc3338d9a94f9edb25411_58d.jpg
frostsword2
frostsword3

Replies

• Oni Link
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oni Link polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good.

How do you get stuff into Oblivion? Does the game come with an editor like Unreal 2k4 or something?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this just a painted bump map on it? If it is your probablly should have modeled out the base shapes and render out normals, then added all the small details in photoshop. Right now it looks like it still has ugly low poly smoothing on it instead of nice normals mapped smoothing.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    You can't port any models into Oblivion, they never released the model format or tools to do it and they claim they are not going to. Someone cracked the code and released it and were shut down in a few days. You will need to find another game to port it to...
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can't port any models into Oblivion, they never released the model format or tools to do it and they claim they are not going to. Someone cracked the code and released it and were shut down in a few days. You will need to find another game to port it to...

[/ QUOTE ]You can but you have to use the NIF exporter for Blender (and Max) to get the right format and then use NifScope to load in the data for a default weapon/model then replace the mesh data with your own.

It's damn fiddly but people have been porting all sorts of things in like this, most of them weapons and armour.

You *are* right about there not being any official tools yet though, they obviously don't want people stealing their thunder just yet as there's still gold in them thar hills!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I thought it was still not possible, thats whats been stopping me from modding oblivion.

You can't really blame bethsida tho, its a kick ass engine and the last thing you want is mods that will compete with new releases using the same engine. They will release official tools at some point in the future once they have milked the engine for all its worth.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cool, I thought it was still not possible, thats whats been stopping me from modding oblivion.

You can't really blame bethsida tho, its a kick ass engine and the last thing you want is mods that will compete with new releases using the same engine. They will release official tools at some point in the future once they have milked the engine for all its worth.

[/ QUOTE ]How long did the Morrowind tools take? It was about 2 years wasn't it?

I have to say though that I've not seen many mapobjects being imported yet, there are a couple of mods on the go but it's not 100% clear what they're using as a base to test their world models, so it's mainly been weapons, clothing and so on.

I feel your pain though, I'd rather not 'hack' content into place becasue it always causes problems when time comes to distribute.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, hacking is so messy and unpredictable. It works fine on your game version but when the mod is done and you upload it for others their Italian/US/British/Russian etc... copys won't work with it.... Best to wait for official tools and get to modding whan you have a stable platform.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Or mod an easier engine. Morrowind is still around, right? And from what i have heard its possible to import your own weapons there.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not a fan of fantasy proportions, but I think you achieved what you wanted to. But even if you were going for a typical fantasy sword, I would still suggest to increase the pommel size to add a little bit of realism and functionality.
    Here is an example of kit rae, he's doing typical fantasy sword designs: http://www.unitedcutlery.com/shop/images/site_images/KR0007-detail-full.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    @ xaltar, the developers of oblivion did not do the engine, they licensed gamebyro for that. However as the massive content really makes the game, the technology being sold to others as well, is not that bad.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I managed to get a custom model into oblivion, i used the .nif tools for civilization 4. (or atleast i think it was civ 4)Worked pretty ok, but the worldmodel was all black.. i didnt really bother trying much harder than that, since as i went to triumphantly post my progress on this problem on the bethesda boards, someone comes along and says "oooh, nice going there sherlock, someone else figured that out DAYS ago!!!"
    wink.gif

So its possible with a little lube and some haxx, you can find out how on the officcial elderscrolls boards.

proof:
    oblivion1.jpg
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Or mod an easier engine. Morrowind is still around, right? And from what i have heard its possible to import your own weapons there.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, and the officail tools have been released for that so no hacksawing is needed!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry about that. I only have Doom3/HL/HL2 modding experience. But i know of several Morrowind mods, so :/
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Thanke you all for the replays.

EarthQuake: Actualy the sword has been sculpted in Zbrush and than I use that base for normal map. I actualy found out that for such little tiny detailes it is much better to do that from height map in PS, and using the normal map fillter and overlay it on the normal map. The resaults are better and much faster. I have fixed the blury areas by painting each channel for normal map. Also added more detailes into normal map. Such as scratches and other small stuff. I have done new specular map and better reflection. The color will be changed abit too, as soon as I have more time. I am planing to do the whole character with this style of detailes. More coming soon.

kat/Xaltar : you are right they are porting all sorts of shit into Oblivion and some stuff looks ql. I have the NIF exporter also. I downloaded a program which extracts all the files from Oblivion. So I can see all files form the game.

LordScottish: You are right about the pommel size. I will fix that by adding some claws on the handle to make it longer, maybe i will also resize it abit. Thanx for the reference of that sword. Looks awesome.

Slash:Yeah that is exactly the exporter that I used to see some of the models from Oblivion. Nice job with porting her into a game. I will look more into detailes on how to import it into game once I am done with modeling and texturing. It is much more fun to do than porting. Hehehe. Thanx for the info.
  • Warhawk
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing jumps out at me.
    Is it a club or a sword? It has no edge to it. I would recomend goung for a nice clean edge to set off the detail nicely. It looks a bit bussy as it is.

A really quick paint over.

swrdff8.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I agree. What should be the blade, looks insanely thick. perhaps it's the lighting, or the way you texured it. Not too sure. but it defineatly doesn't look sharp.

The design is tight, though.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    medieval longswords aren't sharp. that katanas and rapiers.
    but you can still cleave a man in half with a longsword.
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I agree, the sharpness of a medieval longsword is a urban legend, just a fantasy feature, so as a fantasy game sword it wouldn't hurt if it was sharp, but it doesn't kill the look to leave it that way smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Looks properly sharp to me except that it's shading from one side to the other making it look blunt. Use smoothing groups.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at the normal/spec pic, it shows what I was talking about better.

Still, nice work wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ahh yes. It surely looks sharp enough in the other pic. The smoothing groups are really killing it, though. Makes it look very dull indeed.