Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ogre(?), needs advice and critics, please...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
conte polycounter lvl 18
I've done body in mudbox and baked normal maps already mesh is under 7k, but i have no idea what i need to do right now. clothes/armor or something else.
Please, tell me what u think...
My last idea was to do him gladiator.

There is no diffuse, just normal map~ 1024:
ogre1.JPG
ogre2.JPG
ogre3.JPG
ogre4.JPG
ogre6.JPG
ogre7.JPG
ogre8.JPG
P.S: J.I. Styles's shader is the best of the best.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    First off, you dont need 7k for a body which is as relatively simple as that one. See if you can lower it to somewhere between 3k and 4k.
    Secondly, what do you want to do with it? Do you want to add clothes and armour? Leave him naked? Just stop on the piece as it is? If you want to go the minimilalist approach, then just add a loin cloth and a diffuse map and call it done.

edit: forgot to say, it looks great!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    he needs a penis, with which to rape and pillage.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    id say get rid of the toes on the low poly. People dont look too hard at feet to justify that many polys on the feet. Maybe leave the big toe as its own but at a much lower poly. Also thinken up the fingers, they look human and frail not like id expect from something that wants to beat me over the head with a rock then eat me. Id say 5k sounds about rite for him, and 7k with his clothes and gear.

oh and try uping the saturation on the norm to pump up the stenght of the details.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for replies. I have no polycount limit.
    still no ideas.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well, post wires and we could help with the poly count! Lookin great dude, I love the vestigial tail!
  • torncanvas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    torncanvas polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. smile.gif My only crit is that a lot of the muscle work is just a little too high-frequency instead of medium frequency. By that I mean that the muscles suggested by your sculpting are a little too shallow, so it looks like muscles are kinda scratched in. Instead, they should look more pillowy and three-dimensional. I'd recommend dropping a couple division levels and define the form at a lower level a little more. Know what I mean? Again, I don't think it needs to be done that much, just a little.

Depending on the quality of animation you want with him, 7k might be just right or even too low. Guys, let's not forget that you have to add extra polys for smooth deformations. I agree that the wires will say what needs to be done if anything. You never really mentioned the purpose of this guy either, so judgments on poly count should be reserved.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My only crit is that a lot of the muscle work is just a little too high-frequency instead of medium frequency. By that I mean that the muscles suggested by your sculpting are a little too shallow

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally took the words outta my mouth torncanvas. I was gonna say exactly that. There is no depth to any of the musculature, it's all on the surface. Other than that he looks cool!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ashat to fix what daz and torncanvas are saying the easy way out would be drop to a lower resolution mesh that doesnt have the smaller skin details and just has the musculature and export that and then use this as an overlay to keep those details but to further push the major details.
    Otherwise use blur in photoshop untill the only the major details show and up the saturation to make them even deeper. then drop the old map over that one on overlay.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, guys=) i am trying to understand what u all mean.
    As i understand that sounds like i dind't pushed muscle mass. but there is no bodybuilders ogres i think?
    I show wire:
    ogrewire1.JPG
    ogrewire3.JPG
    Here is 5942 tris right now? that's ok?
    big thanx for replies, buddies. smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Right now, while he's looking good, I think you could push the deffinition of the mesh more. It seems like all of the deffinition you currently have is comming from the normal map, so it would be a good idea to make better use of the polygons you have and make his silouhuette more interesting.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    not, what they mean is that the muscle have no volume, U have the form, but no definition, they feel flat.

ben
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Its crotch/hip are ist too short vertically (just look at his belly button which is in the right position relative to the upper torso, but way to close to the lower).
    Of course this visual appearance is even stronger due to the lack of a penis, but it isn't solely because of this, I think.

Oh and a minor nitpic... if it is supposed to stay bald then I would add more detail to the back of his skull, because it isn't (contrary to common believe of most modelers) just a round sphere wink.gif
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I would suggest putting some more thought to your hands and feet. Your hands look very very soft and smooth skinned, especially for an ogre no less. The toes on the feet look too seperated. If you look at your own feet, the only distinguishable gap is between your big toe and your, uhhh, index toe....
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    ashat just go down a couple subdivisions and really press some of the forms youve made in. I know you know how to do it, so just do it already. Chump. =P
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As i understand that sounds like i dind't pushed muscle mass. but there is no bodybuilders ogres i think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you gave him bodybuilder type muscles...
    For comaprison, this is how a very strong man looks like ie. all go no show.
    magnus_samuelsson.jpg